Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

taxes help?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
My husband got out of the military early last year. He didn't fulfill his contract by 9 months.He owes $1200 in equipment because after he turned it in they lost his paperwork saying he did return it. Will The government take that out of our money? Also, do y'all know if he may owe back his sign on bonus? He did get out on an honorable discharge.
Edit: Also, I thought I read last year on here that there is some form I can file that won't let the government touch my portion of the taxes for the military...?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Did he not keep the hand receipt showing that he turned the items in?  He should have a copy of it and should not have to rely on the military to keep track of his paperwork.  My dh has hand receipts for years back.  He will probably have to pay back the sign on bonus because he didn't fulfill his contract.  

Why did he get out?

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:50 PM

This. I have a friend who had her tax return held up by the IRS due to money owed the federal government. It wasn't a military reason, but she had the choice of paying them and getting her return or having them take it out of her return. I assume they could do it for a military debt but I am not sure.

He will be expected to pay back his bonus though. It was given base on the fact he would fulfill his contract which he did not.

Quoting cocoroo:

Did he not keep the hand receipt showing that he turned the items in?  He should have a copy of it and should not have to rely on the military to keep track of his paperwork.  My dh has hand receipts for years back.  He will probably have to pay back the sign on bonus because he didn't fulfill his contract.  

Why did he get out?

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:02 PM

What they said.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:19 PM
They did give him one. We tore our home and car inside out looking for the papers and could not find them. :/
He failed a pt test. They knew he wanted to get out so they gave him the option of discharge or retaking it. He chose to get out. He was having a lot of physical and mental problems after his deployment. This was easier then going for a med board.

Quoting cocoroo:

Why did he get out?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:21 PM
This is all I am afraid of. We really need that money.

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

This. I have a friend who had her tax return held up by the IRS due to money owed the federal government. It wasn't a military reason, but she had the choice of paying them and getting her return or having them take it out of her return. I assume they could do it for a military debt but I am not sure.

He will be expected to pay back his bonus though. It was given base on the fact he would fulfill his contract which he did not.

Quoting cocoroo:

Why did he get out?

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Yeah, you have been given the right advice.  I hope you can find it.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:44 PM

There isn't much you can do at this point. I know it sucks but maybe it is better to get it handled now, even if they take your tax return, so it isn't hanging over your heads.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:47 PM
5 moms liked this
He didn't want severence pay or disability pay? I don't understand.

Quoting Anonymous: They did give him one. We tore our home and car inside out looking for the papers and could not find them. :/

He failed a pt test. They knew he wanted to get out so they gave him the option of discharge or retaking it. He chose to get out. He was having a lot of physical and mental problems after his deployment. This was easier then going for a med board.

Quoting cocoroo:

Why did he get out?

cocoroo
by Coco on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:28 PM

This is why my dh has everything neatly filed in binders.

Quoting Anonymous: They did give him one. We tore our home and car inside out looking for the papers and could not find them. :/

Quoting cocoroo:

Why did he get out?

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:29 PM
3 moms liked this

In document protectors! 

Quoting cocoroo:

This is why my dh has everything neatly filed in binders.

Quoting cocoroo:

Why did he get out?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN