Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

PCSing

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:44 AM
  • 34 Replies
Anyone stationed in Grafenwoehr, Germany!?!? We finally got orders to move there In August and we can't wait, we're so excited!!
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Good luck and have fun!  

sbranom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:28 AM

I was in Hohenfels, about 30 minutes from Graf.  We would go to Graf about once a month to do our shopping, since our commissary and PX were so small.  We just PCSed from there less than a year ago.  

I loved the area and would go back in a heartbeat.  Let me know if you have any questions.

army_5_wife
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:31 AM

we will be arriving there in april

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Oh wow, Graf was my dads first duty station in Germany back in 1980. We were there for 3 years. My DH was never stationed there but we would visit friends there often. It seems like everyone we knew ended up there. 

I hope you enjoy it.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Good luck. I hope you enjoy!

Army-Wife0128
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Well that's good to hear! Glad to hear that you loved it very much an would go back. We have no idea what to expect. We're a bit nervous but anxious to go already too lol. How does the car insurance work out there? We have Geico right now. Can we keep it or do we have to go with USAA? When we get our license, do we pay for one just like the Germans do or no? 

Quoting sbranom:

I was in Hohenfels, about 30 minutes from Graf.  We would go to Graf about once a month to do our shopping, since our commissary and PX were so small.  We just PCSed from there less than a year ago.  

I loved the area and would go back in a heartbeat.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Army-Wife0128
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Oh how awesome! I guess i'll see you around then come August lol. 

Quoting army_5_wife:

we will be arriving there in april

Mizuagi
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

That's awesome! I know a few people who have been stationed there and they all LOVE it! I hope you enjoy living there. :)

Army-Wife0128
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Oh awesome! I keep hearing now nice it is and how beautiful it is there. Makes me want to leave now haha. I"m sure we will! 

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Oh wow, Graf was my dads first duty station in Germany back in 1980. We were there for 3 years. My DH was never stationed there but we would visit friends there often. It seems like everyone we knew ended up there. 

I hope you enjoy it.

sbranom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I'm not sure about Geico, since we had USAA, but insurance is a lot more expensive.  We normally paid about 400-500/6 months for insurance in the States, but in Germany, it was about 1100-1200/6 months.  And, that was with one car with full coverage and liability on the hoopdy we got DH.  Also, if you still owe on your car, you need to get "permission" from the lien holder to ship it.  

As for your license, no you don't have to pay for your USEUR license (the one you will get from the Army), but it is only good for driving in Germany.  If you want to get an international license, all you have to do is go to a Rathaus (the town hall) with your USEUR license, a passport photo, your passport, and like 20 euro.  That will allow you to drive all around Europe.  You do not want to be caught driving in another country without your international license, because it is a couple hundred euro fine.

Quoting Army-Wife0128:

Well that's good to hear! Glad to hear that you loved it very much an would go back. We have no idea what to expect. We're a bit nervous but anxious to go already too lol. How does the car insurance work out there? We have Geico right now. Can we keep it or do we have to go with USAA? When we get our license, do we pay for one just like the Germans do or no? 

Quoting sbranom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN