Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

New to group

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:03 PM
  • 14 Replies

Greetings.  We are not military but DOS.  (Dept of State) and my husband is on an unaccompanied tour (deployment) to Pakistan/Afghanistan for the next year.

I don't know if this group is the "right place" to join since we're not DOD, but it's such a small community (for us) that there aren't a lot of groups to join that are for us only.  We usually get lumped in with military so I hope it's okay for me to join here.  My brother and SIL are both Army, I've been associated with the USAF in the past and shoot, we have a MOH recipient in our "fam".  So we're military supporters through and through, but my husband just happens to work for the DOS not the DOD.

Right now, I'm struggling a bit being at "home" (in a town I've only lived in for a year, far from family and friends)  with DH abroad and in less than stellar or safe conditions which I'm sure most of you can relate to. 

I had a really great job before but now am not working.  He is in rather unsafe conditions.  And I would just like to join a group where people can talk about such things without someone getting freaked out or bent out of shape.  It is what it is, it was our choice, we're dealing.  But having some people to bounce ideas off of would be nice.

So..that's my story.  Just not sure if someone who is not a real military spouse will be welcome here.

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TAG9lbs
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I say welsome to the group and as long as you have thick skin your good to go!!! As in don't expect :*-( :::HUGS::: and too much mushy stuff. U'll get a lot of suck it up buttercup and put ur big girl panties on.

TAG9lbs
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:20 PM

WELCOME!! 

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM
3 moms liked this

^ pfft

Welcome op.  Do you have kids at home?  Are you looking for something in the same field you were in? 

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:46 PM

I say you are more than welcome because you are right, few people "get it" like military wives. 

Birdseed
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:01 PM

I do not have children of my own (yet?!)  I do have two teenaged step daughters who lived with us before but wanted to stay home to finish out the school year while Dad is overseas but plan to accompany us on our next assignment.  Hopefully in Africa.  Mozambique is what we're hoping for!  In the FS, once you leave the US, you pretty much plan to move every 2 years and live abroad for 20 until they force retirement.

As far as work, I don't think I'll be able to work again period--unless at an embassy as a secretary or something.  I would love to work now but it's very difficult to find work that is willing to let me take the R&R breaks we're allowed and it's pretty important to me to be able to see my DH when possible 

I'm 35, only been married 2 years (my first marriage) so there's a component of being available (on short notice) that doesn't make me a very good employee these days.  Sigh.

Quoting jas_momof2:

^ pfft

Welcome op.  Do you have kids at home?  Are you looking for something in the same field you were in? 

Birdseed
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I have big girl panties and such. I normally hang on a SM /BM debate board on CM. I have big girl britches FOR SALE!  I am pretty no nonsense and I'm old enough and wise enough to steer clear of drama.  I just would like to have a group where people understand.

In the last year, I think my husband has done something like 10 TDYs.  The first was to be for a week and ended up being 33 days.  I have had to pack up a house to PCS, alone more than once now.  I have had to get UAB ready to go while DH was gone. I have his family to deal with, my family to deal with.

I was better as a sister supporter.  Now knowing that RPGs are hitting where he is takes a little more out of me than it did when I was just calming my own mother over my brother's deployments.

Anyway...yes.  I have big girl panties on.  Game on.

Quoting TAG9lbs:

I say welsome to the group and as long as you have thick skin your good to go!!! As in don't expect :*-( :::HUGS::: and too much mushy stuff. U'll get a lot of suck it up buttercup and put ur big girl panties on.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Ah - overseas travels - how exciting!  Two years goes by in a blink though... Doesn't seem to be long enough to be in one spot. 

Yeah - there are not many portable careers that go overseas.  What did you used to do?

Quoting Birdseed:

I do not have children of my own (yet?!)  I do have two teenaged step daughters who lived with us before but wanted to stay home to finish out the school year while Dad is overseas but plan to accompany us on our next assignment.  Hopefully in Africa.  Mozambique is what we're hoping for!  In the FS, once you leave the US, you pretty much plan to move every 2 years and live abroad for 20 until they force retirement.

As far as work, I don't think I'll be able to work again period--unless at an embassy as a secretary or something.  I would love to work now but it's very difficult to find work that is willing to let me take the R&R breaks we're allowed and it's pretty important to me to be able to see my DH when possible 

I'm 35, only been married 2 years (my first marriage) so there's a component of being available (on short notice) that doesn't make me a very good employee these days.  Sigh.

Quoting jas_momof2:

^ pfft

TAG9lbs
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I have only been on for a month and i have seen the "trolls" in the Venting room and the Mom Confessions, but very rarely in here. I definetly like how most of the women in here are no nonsense. I felt bad for a girl they were really giving an HONEST opinion too, cause her reserve DH was at a training school for 6 months and she called it a "deployment". haha I almost ripped in to her until I saw the other 20 post. 

Birdseed
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:44 PM

I helped start a company about ten years ago in our home state and then started a sister company abroad where I lived and worked for some time. I work in technology.  I also have a background in human and veterinary medicine so those fields have been supplemental over the years.Most recently, I was working in a vet clinic again (as I did through HS and college) but I had to leave that position to go care for my ailing grandmother in October, then prepare for DH to leave.  So now I'm unemployed, have no one to take care of, and am genuinely at odds with the whole thing. 

I have company over simply to make sure that I clean house and cook food.  I am really sucking at taking care of me. 

As far as our assignments..yes...just two years in one spot. My husband is an engineer and builds/reinforces embassies and consulates.  So it's all project based and if we're lucky, after this stint in the 'stans, we'll be together abroad and mostly in Africa which I love, miss, and can't wait to get back to!

Quoting jas_momof2:

Ah - overseas travels - how exciting!  Two years goes by in a blink though... Doesn't seem to be long enough to be in one spot. 

Yeah - there are not many portable careers that go overseas.  What did you used to do?

Quoting Birdseed:

Quoting jas_momof2:

^ pfft

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Sounds like you need a hobby...  Maybe some kind of volunteer work with animals?  If you volunteer you're not tied to a schedule and can take off when you need to yet, you're still doing something - ie, getting out of the house!

You've been to Africa before?  I've never been, but it sounds interesting.

Quoting Birdseed:

I helped start a company about ten years ago in our home state and then started a sister company abroad where I lived and worked for some time. I work in technology.  I also have a background in human and veterinary medicine so those fields have been supplemental over the years.Most recently, I was working in a vet clinic again (as I did through HS and college) but I had to leave that position to go care for my ailing grandmother in October, then prepare for DH to leave.  So now I'm unemployed, have no one to take care of, and am genuinely at odds with the whole thing. 

I have company over simply to make sure that I clean house and cook food.  I am really sucking at taking care of me. 

As far as our assignments..yes...just two years in one spot. My husband is an engineer and builds/reinforces embassies and consulates.  So it's all project based and if we're lucky, after this stint in the 'stans, we'll be together abroad and mostly in Africa which I love, miss, and can't wait to get back to!

Quoting jas_momof2:

Quoting Birdseed:

Quoting jas_momof2:

^ pfft

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN