Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Looking for pen pal for my daughter

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM
  • 8 Replies
Hello all and thanks for taking the time to read this. I am looking to help my daughter find a snail mail pen pal. She is interested in meeting new friends and I'm not too keen on her talking to people in chat rooms... that's why I thought a snail mail pen pal would be fun. It seems as though we've been moving to a new installion Every other year and it may be starting to effect her. This way she gets to meet new people and I get to keep her out of the chat rooms!!! Besides... who doesn't love getting a letter in the mail?
She is 11 and 1/2 and is interested in music, singing, reading, and her newest interest is trying to create music with her piano and dj software. She loves writing stories and is actually pretty good at it.

If you think ur child might be interested in becoming pen pals with my daughter please let me know

Thanks
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mi_Chelly
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 2:36 PM
I loved having a snail mail penpal when I was a child, but all our moving made it difficult (lost track of them when either of us moved). Sadly, my only child that age does not write. Well, he writes, but at a very delayed stage. And my kids that have the same interest are all so much older. The ones that is into reading and writing is 18, turning 19. The one into music is 16, turning 17. Hopefully you can find someone for your daughter. I really miss the experience that came with having a pen pal.
j_ace
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM
I miss it too... i asked her teacher about a school pen pal program and they don't do that and it's too late in the year to start a program for it... i want more for my kids than all the video games and electronics... challenge them to think and be creative... it just doesn't exist anymore!!! Hopefully I can find her someone... thanks
ArmyWifeTonya
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 3:33 PM

That sounds like a great idea! My daughter is 9, almost 10, and is homeschooled, she has friends here at Fort Benning, but since we're leaving later this year I think her having a snail mail pen pal would be great for her. It would give her someone new to talk to through letters, I wish more parents would think of things like this for their kids.

At her old school here on post they have a pen pal program where the kids will write letters to soldiers stationed here and those same soldiers actually go and volunteer at the school and hang out with the kids during recess, eat lunch with them, hang out in the classrooms. I thought it was so sweet of them to take time out of their busy day and go visit with all the kids. I know the kids really enjoy it.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome and what a great idea!  I have a 5 year old special needs child that is nonverbal so no writing for him yet but I wanted to welcome you.

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 4:34 PM
I had a penpal when I was 10. I am 25 and he is still my penpal :) I went to his wedding and all. We are still very close
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 13, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I had a pen pal, but they never wrote.  I've got a 7 year old who hates writing so no help here.  Hope you find someone.

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 8:50 PM

I love real letters.  That said, I have no one of the correct age to help, but here's a bump.

KW123
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM

How about the other children in your famliy? Like any aunts, uncles, cousins, 2nd cousins that are about her age. This can be a great opportunity for her to get closer to family member who live 3 hours or more away.

My kids (the one who can write) write to both sets of grandparents, their cousins, their little 3rd cousin in Itlay (he is 6 & need to practice his English) and my sisters (even the adult ones).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)