Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Let Your Kids Drink Coffee?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM
  • 16 Replies

* I remember a post a few months ago about kids drinking coffee so thought I would post this one here*

More & More Kids Are Getting Addicted ... To Coffee

by Lisa Fogarty

Kids love sugar. This isn't exactly newsworthy, is it? But a new study reveals that the under-18 set is straying away from soda and turning instead to sweetened coffee drinks. Coffee is to blame for nearly a quarter of children's daily caffeine intake, up 10 percent from a decade ago. The study suggests that our negative attitude toward soda has a lot to do with it, while our acceptance of coffee and some of its positive and healthy attributes is contributing to their habit. And yes, I said habit. Researchers fear all of the yummy, creamy frappuccinos and chocolate chip mocha lattes could be to blame for a potential future caffeine addiction

As an adult who prefers sugary, flavored caffeine beverages to straight-up, serious cups of black coffee, I understand the appeal these drinks have for children. But I also understand the appeal of apple pie and Twinkies. If we're talking about kids who are too young to have an allowance or spend money of their own, then it's obvious parents can keep them from drinking these beverages. There's no reason a 6-year-old child needs to cool off at the beach with a vanilla frappuccino.

Teens are different, though. I see them making pit stops at my local Starbucks after school and emerging with Venti-size frothy drinks in hand -- so I believe this is happening. They are consuming tons of sugar, which is the only thing that makes me wince. But, as far as caffeine goes, is a sugary coffee any worse than chugging down cans of Pepsi or Coke, like my friends and I did as teens? Is it worse than inhaling chocolate bars and energy drinks at 9 in the morning, as I've witnessed young kids doing at school? 

When I was a child, I was allowed to sip a bit of my parents' espresso after dinner. They are from Italy, where young people often drink milky coffee in the morning with their biscotti and STILL manage to live perfectly long and healthy lives. A bit of coffee isn't going to hurt our children. At the end of the day, I wouldn't mind it if my teen daughter drank coffee and reaped some of its health benefits, including antioxidants.

Do you let your children drink coffee?

What do you think is an acceptable age?

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Nope.  Heck, my 19 year old doesn't drink it.  But neither do I.

violinjewel
by Julia on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:28 PM
Nope. My kids are 7 and 5, and they don't drink soda or juice either.
Edit: I'm not opposed to them drinking it when they're older, I drink coffee daily. I don't want them drinking soda and juice, not so much for the sugar content, but more so of what's in those products as far artificial stuff goes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
USAFamily
by Melissa on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:32 PM

No. 

In their later teens I think is fine. It's their choice when I'm not determining every food/drink choice for them anymore though.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Yes. My entire family enjoys coffee. All of my kids took a taste for it around age 13. I buy specialty coffees from all over the world, so we're always eagerly trying new varieties. It's one of life's simple pleasures.
mom2jessnky
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Yep my kids drink coffee, not daily, but if they ask for it I don't say no. If we go to Starbucks they're welcome to get a drink too.

I started drinking coffee occasionally at 6, and daily at 12. My family is a family of coffee drinkers, I turned my husband into one. Hell my cats like coffee.

I hate it when coffee is compared to soda, soda is bad for you, coffee isn't.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM

They have had some of mine, but never a cup of their own. But that is a rare thing because I don't drink it that often. I think they were both around 1 when I let them have some. I never really thought of it being a big deal. I would prefer they drink coffee over soda though! Of course, that really is not an issue either. They do not drink soda or koolaid type drinks (I wouldn't allow it at first, now they HATE the taste of it). The oldest prefers milk or water, the youngest milk or watered-down juice.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:29 PM
LOL! My cats like coffee, too, but they like beer even better! ;-)

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Yep my kids drink coffee, not daily, but if they ask for it I don't say no. If we go to Starbucks they're welcome to get a drink too.

I started drinking coffee occasionally at 6, and daily at 12. My family is a family of coffee drinkers, I turned my husband into one. Hell my cats like coffee.

sahmw2010
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:29 PM
My 4 yr old steals sips of my cold coffee on occasion if he thinks im not looking. A few sips here and there i dont care.
usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Sir Gulliver LOVES soda. It is creepy how obsessed this cat is with it. He will steal a drink or two of other things, but you have to fight him to get off your soda.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: LOL! My cats like coffee, too, but they like beer even better! ;-)

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Photobucket

Elle.tea.22
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Yes. It's a cultural thing. I remember having my own tea cup when I was 4 or 5.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)