Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A battle buddy committed suicide last week. sensitive topic

Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

We went to BCT together and stayed in close touch through the last 3 years. He never let anyone know he was in pain. He was one of the BEST soldiers I have ever met- stone faced and professional paratrooper. He had a baby that JUST learned how to crawl- like two weeks ago. He posted last Sunday a bunch of pictures of his son's "weekend with Daddy" and his step mom and a couple othr people posted that they loved hearing from him, telling them how much he loved him- until 11 pm Sunday night.

the next thing on his FB was a call for prayer at 0530 Monday morning from his family.

He spent one last weekend with his son. True to his nature, he stayed stone faced and emotionless. He didn't reach out and tell ANYONE what he was thinking. Nothing. He was always SO happy and the class clown. He never said anything negative- nothing. He never talked about his emotions, so this came as a HUGE surprise to everyone. Hundreds of people are mourning his death. He tried to commit suicide, but someone found him. At the hospital, he had no brain activity and was taken off life support two nights ago. 

This is absolutely devastating. 

PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE take what people say seriously. ASK QUESTIONS if something someone says sounds 'off'. PLEASE!!! 

1-800-273-8255 Please please PLEASE call them if you even *think* you may want/need/have to talk. Even if you don't want to talk to anyone, but deep down, you know you should. Concerned FRIENDS and FAMILIES can also call. Call/Text/Online Chat. Please share this link. 'One more" is way too many to lose. 

Rest in love, soldier. I'll see you at final formation. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Melissa on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:01 PM
We experienced the impact of suicide when my daughter's boyfriend ended his life here on earth 4 years ago. Like your friend, there were no clues, no warnings, no cry for help. He was secure in his decision and, naturally, we questioned why he did it. It became clear years later that there was a higher reasoning that we simply could not understand at the time, but as our lives without him unfolded, the big picture came into focus.

I'm sorry for your loss.
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I'm so very sorry for your loss.  Sadly, it seems to be happening a lot here.

by Julia on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:19 PM
I'm sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Nikki on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:07 PM

I'm sorry :(

by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Thank you for sharing such a powerful message, and i am sorry for your loss.

by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:56 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing.

We have a friend here who came back from deployment not long ago and has PTSD and we fear he might try to do the same, so another friend and I had to convince her husband to go to their CoC to get him help. It's a terrible thing. :(
by Darby on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:13 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss.  Thank you for sharing though.

by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I'm sorry for your loss.  There is a lot of PTSD out there that affects people--soldiers and civilians.  We really need to do a better job to support our people.  But sometimes, you don't even know.

Very unfortunate indeed.

by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:54 PM

The funeral was yesterday and was just as impossible as I was expecting. I went with two other people that went to BCT with me and it was amazing to have eachother to support during the funeral and 6 collective hours of driving to and from. 

Please continue (or start) to pray for the Atkinson family, especially his father. 

by Kara on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:00 PM
I am very sorry for your loss and for his family. May he rest in peace.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)