Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Fort Riley, Anyone????

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hey y'all!

We are finally getting ready to pcs. The duty station that continues to pop up for my hubby is Fort Riley, KS. This was nowhere near our radar so we do not know anything about it. I just wanted to know if any of you have been there or are currently there and could share any info? Thanks so much!!!
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:16 AM

No idea as we are Navy, but I wish you the best!

da_nica
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:43 PM
I'm here. We live off post, and only go on post when needed. I've been here for 5 months and coming from CA. KS is not all that great. We live in Junction city it's small and mostly military fams. You have to drive some distance to go to some decent places like the mall, zoo etc. Not much to do out here really. When are you guys headed out this way.
CortezDeCrock
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 5:29 AM

We are due to arrive in August. We will probably live on post. We are coming from Fort Wainwright, Alaska so believe me we are ready for a change. We were getting so excited looking at all the different restaurants near Fort Riley, not to mention there is actually a mall there. We don't even have a mall in Fairbanks. We have enjoyed our time here, but we are ready something new.

Quoting da_nica: I'm here. We live off post, and only go on post when needed. I've been here for 5 months and coming from CA. KS is not all that great. We live in Junction city it's small and mostly military fams. You have to drive some distance to go to some decent places like the mall, zoo etc. Not much to do out here really. When are you guys headed out this way.

da_nica
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 5:37 AM
It will sure be a change out here for you guys. Don't get me wrong it's not terribly bad here. It's I'm just used to the busy city life and Riley seems hmmmm not all update compared to what I'm use to from CA. Alaska yikes!! How are the winters there?? There's for sure a lot of places to eat here. It's more mellow out here for sure. Quiet and relaxing at times which is nice.

Quoting CortezDeCrock:

We are due to arrive in August. We will probably live on post. We are coming from Fort Wainwright, Alaska so believe me we are ready for a change. We were getting so excited looking at all the different restaurants near Fort Riley, not to mention there is actually a mall there. We don't even have a mall in Fairbanks. We have enjoyed our time here, but we are ready something new.

Quoting da_nica: I'm here. We live off post, and only go on post when needed. I've been here for 5 months and coming from CA. KS is not all that great. We live in Junction city it's small and mostly military fams. You have to drive some distance to go to some decent places like the mall, zoo etc. Not much to do out here really. When are you guys headed out this way.

CortezDeCrock
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 5:42 AM

In Fairbanks the winters are brutal. It gets down to -54 degrees. The winter is long and dark. About 20 hours of darkness in the winter. The summers are hot, smokey, and mosquito ridden with 20 hours of daylight. Anchorage has beautiful weather and much more stuff to do, but it is a 6 hour drove south.

da_nica
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 5:59 AM
-54!!!! You are kidding me!!!!!! OMG I WOULD DIE!!! I literally freeZe with the -10 we had .. Wow!!!! That is horrible!!! 20hrs of dark! I like dark!! But I don't know about 20 hrs of it!! Now that all you sai about Alaska... I'm starting to feel that Riley is paradise. What am I complaining about hahah! :))
Sparkly3
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I live on post, it's not bad. Specially if you like out door things. For the kids they have a lot of programms at the cyss. I like my childrens elementary school. There are 5 of them. Px is an ok size commisary the same. Easy to find.

The Mall in Manhattan is about 30 to 45 minutes away, same with the Zoo there. I personally like the Milford Nature Center better, it's a short 20 minute drive there. Right by Milford Lake. Great playgrounds on post, nature walks and moonlake. Warrior Zone, Bowling Alley multiple Gyms and neighbourhood pools.

Junction City is not bad and if you want a nice quiet Movie night go to the Movie theater there. Current Movies almost no one ever goes there. Love it. Restaurants are a bit limited, Bellas is a good restaurant it's italien. A few Mexican restaurants are there I hop and the fast food chains. Manhattan has more selection. Topeka is an hour away and has the closest chuckee cheese. Keep your Alaska Winter coats. The Wind here is Brutal.

CortezDeCrock
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:32 AM
Thanks y'all so much for the info. Can anyone go to the warrior zone? I wasn't sure if it was just for single soldiers. Thanks

Quoting Sparkly3:

I live on post, it's not bad. Specially if you like out door things. For the kids they have a lot of programms at the cyss. I like my childrens elementary school. There are 5 of them. Px is an ok size commisary the same. Easy to find.

The Mall in Manhattan is about 30 to 45 minutes away, same with the Zoo there. I personally like the Milford Nature Center better, it's a short 20 minute drive there. Right by Milford Lake. Great playgrounds on post, nature walks and moonlake. Warrior Zone, Bowling Alley multiple Gyms and neighbourhood pools.

Junction City is not bad and if you want a nice quiet Movie night go to the Movie theater there. Current Movies almost no one ever goes there. Love it. Restaurants are a bit limited, Bellas is a good restaurant it's italien. A few Mexican restaurants are there I hop and the fast food chains. Manhattan has more selection. Topeka is an hour away and has the closest chuckee cheese. Keep your Alaska Winter coats. The Wind here is Brutal.

Sparkly3
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:38 AM

It's for anyone over 18 

Quoting CortezDeCrock: Thanks y'all so much for the info. Can anyone go to the warrior zone? I wasn't sure if it was just for single soldiers. Thanks
Quoting Sparkly3:

Soniam301
by Sonia on Mar. 10, 2014 at 2:13 PM
I'm at Riley. I live in Manhattan. I like it here, the schools are great and it is growing. More shopping and restaurants added every day!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN