Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you think??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

We PCSed to Florida about 18 months ago. For 9 months we lived off base while we waited for base housing. We moved into the home and shortly after my DD's allergies started acting up pretty bad. Mine and DH's did as well but hers were the worst. The house is a little older and very poorly built. Every time the air kicked on it smelled super moldy and musty so we requested to have the ducts cleaned. The company said they were pretty disgusting and had mold. So from there she got a little better but then started to get worse again and she has become even worse as time has gone on (We moved in April 2013). In August after a couple months of allergy issues she developed a nasty cough. It lasted 3 weeks so I took her in and they gave her a proventil inhaler. After a week it stopped. She continued to have allergy problems still until December when she developed yet another cough. After 2 weeks of having the cough I recognized it was like the first one so I took her in. We have been to the Doctor 6 times now for it. Shes been given two rounds of antibiotics, nasonex, claritin, zyrtec, oral steroids and an albuterol inhaler. The inhaler was given during the 5th visit with the oral steroids because she was having wheezing. Her cough will start to get better and then it just comes back full force. Shes gotten even worse so the Doctor ordered more allergy testing and we have been referred to Pulmonary. We have that appoitnment this week but we are concerned she is developing astham :( 

After so long dealing with the allergies and coughs we thought it could be the house. Weve been fighting with housing because it seems there is something but they arent doing anything real helpful. Weve been using a special allergen filter in the HVAC and changing it monthly. What made us think it was the house is we changed it earlier this month and it was covered in mold. Our front living room wall was wet and bubbling out and when they tore into it they found mold. They didnt test it though so they told us they cant call it mold so in that case they are saying no mold has been found. Our upstairs smells very moldy and musty but they are refusing to do an air quality test. My husband tried to look in the attic to see if there may be something up there (the room to the attic smells the worst) but there is a wasps nest in there so he cant go up into it to check. 

The Doctor cant figure out what is wrong with her and there seems to be no other answer. DH's leadership told us to put in a request to move but they denied it twice now. They also will not let us out of our lease. It will be up in a couple months but that is far away considering how bad she is. We would like to get her out of the house to see if it really is the house. 

What would you think or do in this situation?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this
Move. Your husband could stay in the house until the lease is up if need be. Move off base if you have too. You don't have to live in base housing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Quoting DvlDogWfe: Move. Your husband could stay in the house until the lease is up if need be. Move off base if you have too. You don't have to live in base housing.

We live in a high cost area. Rent is over $2k a month. It would cost us over $4 to move off (because of deposit). We literally do not have that kind of cash. The housing has our BAH and wont release it. If we could come up with the money we would do it in a hearbeat or if they released our BAH we could pay for it. DH's paycheck isnt even $2000 a month.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:09 PM
I was in this situation when we lived off post at Ft Hood. My girls started having very strange allergic reactions like hives on their scalp as well as respiratory illness. My husband and my two dachshunds developed pneumonia. I had strange reactions like chronic fatigue and tingling numbness around my mouth.

DH had to deploy with a fever of 103 (his pneumonia was actually diagnosed when he got downrange) and I knew I had to get my family out of that house. So I had JAG help me terminate the lease (the dwelling wasn't safe, which is a breech of contract on the landlord's part) and I found a new house to rent. I did most of it by myself - thankfully we have a pickup truck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: I was in this situation when we lived off post at Ft Hood. My girls started having very strange allergic reactions like hives on their scalp as well as respiratory illness. My husband and my two dachshunds developed pneumonia. I had strange reactions like chronic fatigue and tingling numbness around my mouth.

DH had to deploy with a fever of 103 (his pneumonia was actually diagnosed when he got downrange) and I knew I had to get my family out of that house. So I had JAG help me terminate the lease (the dwelling wasn't safe, which is a breech of contract on the landlord's part) and I found a new house to rent. I did most of it by myself - thankfully we have a pickup truck.

We are working with his leadership. The housing is privatized so his CoC has been SUPER helpful. They are trying to either get our lease terminated or moved to another house. The company is pushing back HARD. His CoC thinks they are trying to hide something, especially since they wont admit to a problem or do an air quality test. My husband requested maintenance records to see if there is a history of anything and they refused to do that as well. Right now im focusing on my daughter and getting her better.

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM
The newer houses in Comanche III and West Ft Hood are poorly built and full of mold! We were always sick and the mold there is visible. Sooo happy we aren't there anymore.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: I was in this situation when we lived off post at Ft Hood. My girls started having very strange allergic reactions like hives on their scalp as well as respiratory illness. My husband and my two dachshunds developed pneumonia. I had strange reactions like chronic fatigue and tingling numbness around my mouth.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Have JAG help you! You have rights.

Quoting Anonymous:

We are working with his leadership. The housing is privatized so his CoC has been SUPER helpful. They are trying to either get our lease terminated or moved to another house. The company is pushing back HARD. His CoC thinks they are trying to hide something, especially since they wont admit to a problem or do an air quality test. My husband requested maintenance records to see if there is a history of anything and they refused to do that as well. Right now im focusing on my daughter and getting her better.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Why you are waiting/struggling with housing can you get one of those air purifier machines? And perhaps a de-humidifier? It sounds like you certainly have a mold issue but if you are stuck there are other things you can do to at least help with the symptoms a bit. It's not fair to your little one to have to suffer why you get the runaround.

TheartAH
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Where are you stationed at in FL?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Molimomma:

Why you are waiting/struggling with housing can you get one of those air purifier machines? And perhaps a de-humidifier? It sounds like you certainly have a mold issue but if you are stuck there are other things you can do to at least help with the symptoms a bit. It's not fair to your little one to have to suffer why you get the runaround.

Trust me we arent trying to make our child suffer. This has been far from easy. We have tried both of those things and neither has worked. Nothing we have done has made a difference. We have been trying like crazy to make sure the house is as clean as possible too. We are constantly vacuuming now and dusting. That has not made a difference either.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Molimomma:

Trust me we arent trying to make our child suffer. This has been far from easy. We have tried both of those things and neither has worked. Nothing we have done has made a difference. We have been trying like crazy to make sure the house is as clean as possible too. We are constantly vacuuming now and dusting. That has not made a difference either.

I wasn't implying YOU were making her suffer, I meant the housing company was giving you the runaround and refusing to show you the records. It really sounds like you have a serious mold problem it is a shame that you can't get out of there. The vacuuming and dusting won't do much for that unfortunately, especially since it sounds like it is in the walls and air system. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)