Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

What action should be taken?

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:51 AM
  • 42 Replies

This has been all over FB and some military forums I visit.

Most agree that is is really distasteful and that she should be reprimanded. Others think it is not big deal.

What are your thoughts?

AF Will Take Action Over POW/MIA Emblem Photo

Airman kissing POW/MIA emblem

WASHINGTON — The Air Force is “disappointed” in the airman who appeared in a photo that is being circulated of her posing with her tongue in the mouth of the prisoner of war depicted on the iconic black-and-white POW/MIA emblem.

“We do not yet have all details behind the photo, but it certainly is a concern; it’s a concern any time someone shows disrespect for prisoners of war and those missing in action. They deserve our utmost respect and we must always remember their sacrifice and the legacy they’ve left for us as men and women serving our nation.

“I want to make it clear that this is not a reflection of Airmen who wear this uniform; it is a case of poor judgment of one Airman ... to say we are disappointed would be an understatement. We are gathering all the details and will take appropriate action at the appropriate level. Our Airmen fully understand the significance of the POW/MIA flag and the sacrifice of the men and women it honors,” Chief Master Sgt. of the Air Force James Cody said in a statement.

Second Lt. Rachelle Smith, a spokeswoman for Fairchild Air Force Base, told Stars and Stripes that the airman in the photo is Staff Sgt. Cherish Byers. She is with the 92nd Security Forces Squadron stationed at Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash. Byers was a senior airman when the photo was taken.

An investigation into the incident was initiated Friday morning, Smith said.

Joe Davis, a spokesman for the Veterans of Foreign Wars, was not amused by the photo.

“There is nothing funny about [being] disrespectful and crude.”

by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I guess some people need to be taught what respect is.
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:08 AM
2 moms liked this

I was really sad when I first read about this. How can anyone, especially someone who wears the uniform think this was funny?

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Nasty girl.

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:35 AM
5 moms liked this

I hope she gets the punishment she deserves... There is nothing funny about her picture. 

Added... She is an NCO as a SSgt... And as a SrA at the time... You are considered a first line supervisor. You are suppose to demonstrate basic supervision of lower ranking airman. You are held accountable of not only yourself but also your subordinates. Most importantly demonstrate a capacity for strong leadership. She used piss poor judgment and def deserves at least an LOR along with community service... And some history lessons.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:58 AM
3 moms liked this

Honestly? Her lack of respect and the overall crudeness of the photo she will no longer have the respect of her superiors or her subordinates. Her usefulness has run its course. Should she be reprimanded? Maybe. Should she be barred from re-enlistment? Absolutely. If she isn't capable of making better/smarter choices she has no place in a leadership position or in the most powerful military in the world.

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:05 AM
She's a dumb fuck
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM
4 moms liked this

I think a Page 11 or NJP or whatever the AF calls it would be sufficient. Is it crass? Yes. Is it disrespectful? Yes. Is it the worst thing ever and warrants jail time or her being kicked out? I don't believe so.

USAFamily
by Melissa on Feb. 17, 2014 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's disgusting. I do think she should be reprimanded, especially since she was in uniform.

USAFamily
by Melissa on Feb. 17, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I can agree with this- especially if it's an isolated incident. Let her lose rank, or be prevented from promotion. Hopefully she will learn her lesson and be an ideal Airman in the long run. Who knows?

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I think a Page 11 or NJP or whatever the AF calls it would be sufficient. Is it crass? Yes. Is it disrespectful? Yes. Is it the worst thing ever and warrants jail time or her being kicked out? I don't believe so.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Disgusting

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)