Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Disgusting

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:27 PM
  • 16 Replies

This guy needs his butt kicked. Not only did he lie and wear awards he didn't earn, he took a dog from a kid who was just trying to help:

Spokane Washington- Mark Hans Smith of Spokane Washington has been claiming to be a Sniper with Special Forces, and a Ranger. But he isn’t just claiming to be any Sniper, Mark is one of the “U.S. Army’s Top Snipers”.  He Also claims to have a Silver Star, a Bronze Star, two Purple Hearts, and the Army Occupation Medal. He has used these claims to receive free items in excess of $1,000, while sporting badges and tabs that he did not earn.

He defrauded a K9 training club, Protection K9 Training Club, out of free training with his false claims.  One of our admins noticed the photos when the K9 club posted them to their Facebook page, and of course was immediately suspicious. Once we knew he was lying, we contacted the club owner, who was shocked to learn of this as he was providing Mark free training because of his service. Mark also told him he was the third most highly decorated Veteran in Spokane!

After we contacted the club owner, he asked Mark for a copy of his DD214, and once he did Mark disappeared. He has not only committed fraud, but has also committed a crime under the Stolen Valor act of 2013. One of our investigators, Fred, was in contact with Mr. Smith and spoke to him several times on the phone. When Fred asked for a DD214, Smith hung up on him and changed his number to prevent Fred from calling him back.

The photo below is the one that set off all kinds of red flags once it was posted by Protection K9. They thought they were helping out a Hero in need, he turned out to be nothing but a fraud.

So, on his ACU Jacket he is sporting the following:

• Special Forces Tab(Right Arm)
  • Airborne Tab(Right Arm)
  • Ranger Tab(Left Arm)
  • 1SG Rank
  • Special Forces Arrows(Upside Down-Left Side)
  • Combat Infantryman’s Badge with two stars.(Left Side – He is not old enough to have three CIB’s,  , and he is not on the Fort Benning list of Soldiers who hold three.)
  • Freefall Parachutist Badge(Left Side)
  • Parachutist Badge(Left Side)
  • Air Assault Badge(Left Side)
  • Parachute Rigger Badge(Left Side)
  • 3rd Ranger Battalion Scroll(Left Arm)
  • Special Forces Halo Wings(Right Side – Prototype Wings, Never Authorized

Here is the part about the boy and the link to the page with pictures:

UPDATE: 20140217

After we posted this story, we started getting emails from people who know Mark, but one email really showed me how much of a scumbag he really is. I won’t release full names until I hear back from Tanner’s mom, but this is what she told me.

I wanted to let you know that it was my 11 year old son Tanner who donated the G.S.D. to Mark Smith.
This dog was Tanner’s personal dog, which he raised and trained with his own money and time. This dog represented Tanner’s profit for the year that he earned from doing his part in helping his disabled father in our family business. The dog was his to sell and he chose to donate her to Mark instead of profiting for his labor out of the kindness of his heart.

This man stood in our front yard and shook Tanner’s hand, man to man, knowing that this was Tanner’s sacrifice. We would greatly appreciate it if Tanner could be mentioned in your article. As I write this, Tanner is unaware of Mark’s deception. We will be using your article to help explain it to him at an appropriate time, as this shows thorough evidence.

Thank you,

Stealing from a business is one thing, but lying to a kid and stealing from him is about as low as you can get! I can only imagine the line of bull he told this young man.

Tanner if your reading this, do not let what he did discourage you. You believed you were doing the right thing and this man took advantage of your kindness. I want to thank you for being such a fine upstanding young man!

http://guardianofvalor.com/mark-h-smith-special-forces-ranger-poser-gets-free-k9-lying/

by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:29 PM
Grrrr :(
NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I was reading some of the comments on their FB page and a lot of the people who commented are waiting to hear back from the kids mom about donating money to get him a new dog to train. 

JMmama
by Kara on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:24 PM

That is really terrible. What is the matter with people?

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:05 PM

I don't know but what he did was reprehensible.

Quoting JMmama:

That is really terrible. What is the matter with people?

Mommy2Bri425
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:18 AM
Lmfao.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 19, 2014 at 4:44 AM

What is so funny about this story?  Please share with the rest of us.

Quoting Mommy2Bri425: Lmfao.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 19, 2014 at 4:44 AM

This is horrible...

Mommy2Bri425
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 6:20 AM
Lol. Share with you for what? Continue on with your little conversation.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 19, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Wow.  There's no need to be rude to me.  Totally uncalled for.

I'm just curious as to why you find this post to be funny.  Simple questions typically get simple answers.  Seems like to me you are just posting comments to start drama. How sad.  Hope you have a nice day though:)

Quoting Mommy2Bri425: Lol. Share with you for what? Continue on with your little conversation.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 7:57 AM

What a complete and disgusting loser.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)