Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Tricare and mental health?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
If I wanted to talk to somebody about possible depression would I have to get a referral from my PCM first?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 12:53 PM

no, you can get a referral directly from tricare- I believe it is an automatic 8 visits and then your therapist can get a referral for more.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 12:53 PM

you can also contact military one source for more information.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Thank you
.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:01 PM

You can talk to your PCM, they might recommend therapy or they could recommend prescriptions. You can go online to the Tricare website and search for in network providers. Call and set up and appointment. They submit everything to tricare, no referral needed. Military One Source is really just a middle man in this process, they they do offer over the phone counseling if you are in need of it right now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:27 PM
Not particularly fond of my PCM. Only met him once

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

You can talk to your PCM, they might recommend therapy or they could recommend prescriptions. You can go online to the Tricare website and search for in network providers. Call and set up and appointment. They submit everything to tricare, no referral needed. Military One Source is really just a middle man in this process, they they do offer over the phone counseling if you are in need of it right now.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:04 PM

As a previous poster said you can call Military One Source. They will give you the names and numbers of either psychiatrists or counselors in your area who take Tricare. You don't need a referral for the first eight visits and if you are still needing to be seen past the eight appointments the doctor you are seeing will handle it. Good luck.

Izsarejman
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 5:43 PM
I just called places that accepted Tricare to find out if they were accepting new patients, checked the reviews, then went from there. I never involved my PCM but I never met mine either because I never saw the same person twice. Because of that, I never felt like I needed to share any of my mental health info with the military docs. They weren't the ones treating it so it wasn't their business.
SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 6:00 PM
You don't need a referral. Just make an appt with any local mental health provider that accepts your Tricare plan and you are good to go.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 19, 2014 at 6:19 PM

These ladies have the right advice.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)