Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Gov't keeps insisting my cousin is dead

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM
  • 14 Replies
My cousin is retired from the army. Worked in intelligence. He now is a civilian contracted doing same thing. Past 3 years when he goes to file taxes, he gets informed that ge was KIA the year ge had actually retired. While i love teasing him, you think after 3 years the paperwork would have been sorted out by now. Or SONETHING! Has anyone ever heard of this happening? This is a first and while annoying for him, it is a joke amongst the family
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Beth on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Sorry for the typos. Some days i hate touch screen phones
USAFamily
by Melissa on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL. May he rest in peace ;)

Honestly, if I were 'dead' I'd quit filing!! (Juuuuust kidding!!) 

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Never had the KIA part, but for some reason they can't get that my husbands home of record is IA and not SD. They have the city from IA, but in state they put SD. This has been going on for now 6 years!

violinjewel
by Julia on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:15 PM
Ha! We have this issue. They have my husband's home of record as CA. Not sure why it ever changes, as it should be CO. I only lived there a short time while he was deployed. He has gone into have it fixed, but it hasn't changed in five years.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Never had the KIA part, but for some reason they can't get that my husbands home of record is IA and not SD. They have the city from IA, but in state they put SD. This has been going on for now 6 years!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:42 PM

No, but I'm sorry for your families loss ;)  I would be highly tempted to not file if I were him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:46 PM

He will need to sort it out at the VA

Bring in his birth certificate, SS card, retirement papers, ect ...

most likely there was a mix up with his SSN and somebody who was KIA

sahmw2010
by Beth on Feb. 19, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Yea, he did that the first 2 years and will be again tomorrow.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Id request that they give him documantation of the changes so that he can file it with the IRS or whereever he needs to. This could be causing another family to not get the death benefits because of a mix up

Quoting sahmw2010: Yea, he did that the first 2 years and will be again tomorrow.

Quoting Anonymous:

sahmw2010
by Beth on Feb. 19, 2014 at 4:20 PM
I didnt think of that. I just assumed that there was an error in paperwork when he retired since the KIA is the same date that he was finally out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Id request that they give him documantation of the changes so that he can file it with the IRS or whereever he needs to. This could be causing another family to not get the death benefits because of a mix up

Quoting sahmw2010: Yea, he did that the first 2 years and will be again tomorrow.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2014 at 4:29 PM

If its an issue with SSN it could very well be affecting another family. It all depends on what the glitch is. 

Quoting sahmw2010: I didnt think of that. I just assumed that there was an error in paperwork when he retired since the KIA is the same date that he was finally out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)