Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone had any bad experiences with the Child Development Centers?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:46 PM
  • 27 Replies

Hello Everyone, 

Childcare is one of the hardest decisions a mother faces whether its for full time care or just once in a while mental break, date night or for appointments. In light of the events that surfaced last year in Virginia with sexual assaults within the centers on military bases and faulty background checks being overlooked have any of you had any bad experiences with a DOD Child Development Center? If so what did you do about it and did you receive any help or guidance.  

I hear horror stories all the time and parents complain but that's as far as it goes. Is there a reason no one speaks up? Are there any certain military bases that you would rather have a few hungry lions babysit instead of using the on base child care? 

by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:51 PM
4 moms liked this

Another research paper? Or are you a "reporter" of sorts?

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Never had a problem with the CDC/Youth centers - those home providers?  That is a totally different story.

bleigh81
by New Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Quoting usmclife58:

Another research paper? Or are you a "reporter" of sorts?

No research paper here and no I am not a reporter. I am just a mom on a military base trying to make sense to all of this. I am new to the military life and I have a hard time understanding why so many parents complain and want things to change but wont speak up. If you think a child care center is not caring for your child properly why stay quiet? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2014 at 9:01 PM
I've heard things ranging from workers eating your kids food to letting the kids sit in waste. They hire randomly, what do you expect? I don't use them but I knew great women that worked there and quit because they were run horribly.
bleigh81
by New Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Quoting jas_momof2:

Never had a problem with the CDC/Youth centers - those home providers?  That is a totally different story.

They all fall under the same governing umbrella and training. I try to stay away from any kind of home provider thinking that a center should be safer, though not always true. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2014 at 9:57 PM
I've been on all side of the military childcare spectrum. I worked in a center for many years, was a licensed FCC provider with the base for a few years and have had my children cared for at the CDC and as drop ins with other FCC providers.
That being said, I believe each center (and FCC provider) is different. While they do all have the same guidelines, those guidelines are interpreted and implemented in different ways by management. I know people that work at CDCs around the world and they are ran differently than the one I was at. To me it's just like any other work place. There are really great teachers that love and care for children and there are people who are there just for a paycheck (pay is much higher in military childcare than non mil). My older child had great teachers. My youngest had horrible inexperienced teachers. They were lazy and disgusting but all my CDC cared about is "having a body" in the classroom. I quit because of it. If you wanted stories I could certainly tell some but that's probably not in my best interest.
SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Never used one unless you count the one at the hospital.
Izsarejman
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:38 PM
When I was in Italy as a single mom, they were a bunch of busybodies looking for trouble. I had one incident where they called me and said that my daughter had blood from her vagina and they had the diaper as proof. I told them I had her morning diaper and didn't see anything. They told me I needed to get her checked or they were going to file an investigation. I took her to peds and all was normal. What was the problem? The day care worker wasn't wearing gloves and scratched my daughter while changing her. To cover her ass, she was trying to blame me. The ones at Great Lakes were just there. I had nothing good or bad to say. But that Naples experience just traumatized me from the CDC. It was humiliating for my daughter and I.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:32 AM

I've never used one to be honest. 

ScootBootsMommy
by New Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:08 AM
I worked at a CDC in SC for 18 months and my son attended while I worked there plus. I used two FCCs before I worked there. It really isnt an all or none deal. One FCC provider was terrible and my son only went for two weeks while I went for my reserve training. The other was amazing and I wish I could have put her in my pocket and took her everywhere with me. The CDC was the same. There were those who truly loved children and teaching and there were those who just wanted a job. I had my sons classroom changed when I felt like he wasnt doing well with a certain teacher and they were very accommodating and moved him as soon as that classroom had an open spot. There was never any physical or sexual abuse but one was fired for verbal abuse. The same woman was written up numerous times for not following procedure and for giving children unauthorized food. Once she even fed a baby with her own spoon. (Ewww) But you always gamble when you hand your children over to someone else. But I can honestly say that she was the only one that I really felt was only there for the money. Everyone else really loved children and their job.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)