Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Advancing in your MOS/Rate/Job

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:23 AM
  • 47 Replies

What's the advancement like in your spouse's job?  Is it hard to make rank and advance?  Easy?  What are the requirements for making rank in your spouse's branch and job?

I find this all too interesting...probably because I'm geek!  I like to learn how other branches work.  

My husband is submarine Navy, and they go by mutliples, meaning they have x amount of spots open for the next rank (enlisted) so you can score great on the test (E4-E7 take tests), and still not make rank.  For example, if they only need 3 E6's in your spouse's rate (job), then you have to score really high on the test to make it.  But, in another rate, they might need 50 E6's so you can score pretty low on the test and still make it.  I know someone who has been AD for almost 12 years and is still an E5, because it's SO hard to advance in his rate.  He's a seabee construction electrician.

E7 is different...you have to take a test to make board for Chief.  If you make board, then you are eligible for Chief.  Then the board (consisting of a board of senior enlisted) goes through the records and decides who makes it and who doesn't.  E8 and E9 are just looked at...records are looked at each year but no tests are taken.  You have to be an E7 for 2 years prior to being eligible for E8, and 2 years being an E8 before eligible for E9.

For E1-E3, I think it's just time in service...no tests for those if I remember correctly, but I could be wrong.  E4-E6 require tests, but you have to be in rank for x amount of time before taking the test...I think it's 2 years.  But, if you get an EP (early promote) on your eval, you can take the rating exam 1 year early.  

I don't know much about officers.  I do know that there are age limits and time in service requirements for different enlisted to officer programs.  

I will also add that the Navy enlisted program is the only one where you wear the new rank (on your uniform) as soon as the results come out, but you don't get paid right away.  You can get paid anytime from then to the next 6-12 months depending on where you scored on tests/evals.  Every other branch (to my knowledge) doesn't allow the service member to wear the rank on their uniform until they are getting paid for the new rank.  

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:24 AM

I probably forgot some stuff or got some details wrong, but that's par for the course with me...I'm usually wrong on most things!

omerciful1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Army-E1-E6 is the promotion board- time in service, slots available and promotion points etc, E7-E9 is through DA, and it is time in service before you can put a packet in. In my husbands MOS it seems like there's an appropriate flow of guys getting promoted. Some guys choose not to put in their packet for DA promotions because they want to stay where they are a little longer. E7 and up don't pin on rank or get paid for the new rank until their sequence number comes up. Some drop a Warrant packet so that they can stay in their job instead of having to do an admin position like !st Sgt etc... There are no E1-E4 in his MOS, and I believe guys have to be E5p before they can drop a packet for that MOS. If memory serves correct. This is kinda general, but the easiest way to explain it....lol. 

meandmyboys124
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:52 AM
E1-e3 for navy is based on quals. :) dh is navy too. Cs on subs.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:00 AM

See...I told you I'd mix something up and forget it!  LOL!  How long has your husband been on subs?   You don't meet too many of them:)

Quoting meandmyboys124: E1-e3 for navy is based on quals. :) dh is navy too. Cs on subs.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:03 AM

See, I find that so interesting!  Thanks for sharing:) The Warrant program in the Navy is totally different...you have to be enlisted for 16 years before you put in a package, and you have to be an E-7 I believe.  I find it interesting that there are MOSs with only certain ranks in them.  Typically, in the Navy, you enlist to be a certain rate and unless you go officer, you are in that same rate for your entire career.  Very few guys do a rate change.  Rate = MOS

Quoting omerciful1:

Army-E1-E6 is the promotion board- time in service, slots available and promotion points etc, E7-E9 is through DA, and it is time in service before you can put a packet in. In my husbands MOS it seems like there's an appropriate flow of guys getting promoted. Some guys choose not to put in their packet for DA promotions because they want to stay where they are a little longer. E7 and up don't pin on rank or get paid for the new rank until their sequence number comes up. Some drop a Warrant packet so that they can stay in their job instead of having to do an admin position like !st Sgt etc... There are no E1-E4 in his MOS, and I believe guys have to be E5p before they can drop a packet for that MOS. If memory serves correct. This is kinda general, but the easiest way to explain it....lol. 

meandmyboys124
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:10 AM
7 years now. Currently on shore duty at kings bay. We miss the sub life. You get used to it. Only 1 more year than back to a boat.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

See...I told you I'd mix something up and forget it!  LOL!  How long has your husband been on subs?   You don't meet too many of them:)

Quoting meandmyboys124: E1-e3 for navy is based on quals. :) dh is navy too. Cs on subs.

mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:12 AM
My husband is currently trying to reclass because his current MOS is over strength is his next rank and he's promotable and doesn't want to get stuck in his current rank longer than necessary.

Quoting omerciful1:

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:14 AM
What is his MOS? I might want to reclass to it. Sounds nice!

Quoting omerciful1:

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Didn't realize you are an Army wife.... or maybe I forgot. Lol. Welcome to the group!

Quoting mnkymommy08: My husband is currently trying to reclass because his current MOS is over strength is his next rank and he's promotable and doesn't want to get stuck in his current rank longer than necessary.

Quoting omerciful1:

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Ugh Air Force promotion sucks. It is similar to your navy testing. It took forever for my DH to make tech sgt. and this week he is studying his ass off to try for the second year to make master but I'm not holding my breath. Last year he wasn't even close and it is SO frustrating. He really needs to make Master and he's NOT a good test taker so that just adds the pressure. There's not much point in stressing about it since the score needed/point system fluctuates annually and all you can really do is go in take the test and pray but that's not especially helpful. I hate that their promotion is based solely on a test score and not actually on job performance or deserving of the promotion but it is what it is. I don't have to like it I just have to live with it but seems horribly unfair.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)