Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Military Family Forced to Remove ‘Welcome Home’ Sign for Returning Dad

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:05 PM
  • 30 Replies

Military Family Forced to Remove ‘Welcome Home’ Sign for Returning Dad (VIDEO)

by Adriana Velez

welcome home signIf you've ever wanted proof that there are humans among us who have no souls, here you go. A homeowners' association ordered a family to remove the welcome home sign for a father returning from military service. No sign for a dad who had been away from his family for -- get this -- four freakin' years. And the worst part is, it's not even clear that the family's sign was actually against the homeowners' association rules.

Petty Officer Third Class Anthony Marsiglia is finally returning to his family after serving in the U.S. Navy on an aircraft carrier. His family is beyond excited, especially his 8-year-old daughter, Alex. So they made him a sign reading, "Welcome home Daddy. We love you. Mom Pop and Alex." Seems innocent enough, right? It even conforms to the homeowners' association rules that signs should be under 24 by 36 inches.

But they got a threatening letter from the association, saying the sign broke the rules -- they didn't say which rules, just "the" rules. When Marsiglia's mother, Judy Pellegran, pointed out that the sign wasn't too large, the association's lawyer told her, "The remaining problems are the failure of preapproval and the permanent display. The Board has met and advises that it does not allow permanent signs."

Board dudes, he's a military service member who hasn't seen his young daughter in four years! You're seriously prioritizing aesthetics over love? What is the matter with you? Did you sacrifice your hearts to Satan in order to become board members? Is that the price you have to pay? Was it worth it, handing your souls over to Beelzebub just so you could boss other homeowners around? The hell?!?

Anyway, it looks like other lawyers are stepping in and volunteering to represent the family. Hopefully, in the end, the family will be allowed to give Marsiglia the welcome he deserves.

Video here

Why do you think the homeowners' association has a problem with the welcome-back sign?

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry I'm with the HOA, you know the rules (or should) before you buy your house and move into the neighborhood with the HOA. This has NOTHING to do with the fact that the guy is in the military and was gone. What if people wanted to put up a banner that said "All hail SATAN!" ? NO ONE would be screaming from the rooftops "How dare they!!" or lawyering up to defend the sign placers then, when they were told to remove it.

Does lack of a sign diminish the homecoming? NOPE. I've never once put up a sign any of the times my husband deployed, he knew we were glad he was home, he knew we missed him, I just didn't feel the need to attention whore myself out to the planet over it.

Maybe they should have checked with the HOA first, instead of acting like they're above following rules they agreed to and then getting pissy and butt hurt when they're called out on it.  It says in the article that they didn't get preapproval and it was a permanent display, so likely they let that thing rot up there for over 30 days (which would make it permanent to them) and that's why they're getting letters for it. There is WAY more to this story than what the perma-victim homeowners want us to believe.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

There is more to this story.

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a long, drawn out response and of course it didn't make much sense. Your response was what I was trying to convey myself. I agree with you here.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Sorry I'm with the HOA, you know the rules (or should) before you buy your house and move into the neighborhood with the HOA. This has NOTHING to do with the fact that the guy is in the military and was gone. What if people wanted to put up a banner that said "All hail SATAN!" ? NO ONE would be screaming from the rooftops "How dare they!!" or lawyering up to defend the sign placers then, when they were told to remove it.

Does lack of a sign diminish the homecoming? NOPE. I've never once put up a sign any of the times my husband deployed, he knew we were glad he was home, he knew we missed him, I just didn't feel the need to attention whore myself out to the planet over it.

Maybe they should have checked with the HOA first, instead of acting like they're above following rules they agreed to and then getting pissy and butt hurt when they're called out on it.  It says in the article that they didn't get preapproval and it was a permanent display, so likely they let that thing rot up there for over 30 days (which would make it permanent to them) and that's why they're getting letters for it. There is WAY more to this story than what the perma-victim homeowners want us to believe.

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:54 PM
I agree, nice that media outlets tend to only show facts to support their argument, but fail to give the whole story.

Quoting usmclife58:

There is more to this story.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Here we go...  And people wonder why military families have the entitlement attitude.

lanceandhailey
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Aww, we made a sign like that when DH came home. I put it up before we left to pick him up and took it down the next day. We don't have rules against it staying up though, clearly she had it up for quite awhile since they are calling it a permanent display.

Reina13
by Reina on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:59 PM

If you live in an HOA neighborhood, then you follow the bylaws, end of story.

I live in an HOA and while it is pretty restrictive, I knew what I was getting into BEFORE I closed on my house. I was given a copy of the by laws prior to closing. I deliberately moved into an HOA community because of the restrictive nature of it. I want the integrity of the neighborhood and the value of my home to be maintained. If someone cannot follow the rules, then perhaps they should live elsewhere. 

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I agree that the home owners know the rules to signage on the community.

you buy in a community with an HOA you agree to abide by the rules, no matter how stupid they are..

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:15 PM

4 years? I need more information. 

violinjewel
by Julia on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:18 PM
As much as I dislike HOA's, and we don't live in them, I agree with them. They have rules that are stated and written before they are moved into, and people need to follow those rules.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN