Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

What's the worst thing anyone has ever said to you as a military spouse?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 1:25 PM
  • 49 Replies

What's the worst thing anyone has ever said to you as a military spouse?

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Feb. 28, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I had a family court judge tell me that the military lifestyle is not in the best interest of my children. 

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Feb. 28, 2014 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Nothing... I don't parade around that I'm a military spouse though so I don't really see how anyone would do it.

violinjewel
by Julia on Feb. 28, 2014 at 1:43 PM
Nothing here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 28, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Nothing comes to mind.
Izsarejman
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Nothing to me but my husband's coworkers have an air about them that they are better and smarter. Forget I too served 12 years. Whenever they are around, I just go upstairs and hang out with the rest of the children so the grown ups can pound their chests and compare brag sheets.
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I met up with my father, who I rarely saw after high school one trip "home" to FL for dinner. I had married my husband maybe 3 months earlier and he was on his first deployment to Iraq so I was visiting his parents and met up with my dad and stepmom for dinner since I rarely saw them. We sit down at the table in Ruby Tuesdays and he says, "So if he gets killed will you stay in NM or move to VA where your mother is?" Needless to say, other than my sister's wedding that was the last time I saw him and he never actually even met my husband or my son :(

USAFamily
by Melissa on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I also don't announce that I am a military spouse. However, I travel a lot being overseas. The worst moment I have had was in Dublin Ireland last Sept. I had 2 men approach myself and my friend I was travelling with. The guys were from Libya and grilled us on how we, as Amercians, thought we had any right to go and take over their country, ect ect. I kept my cool, and just let them know I understood their frustration and sympathized with them. Honestly, at the end of the day it was really interesting for me to see the other side. They never knew I was a spouse- just an American woman.

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:55 PM
I was called all sorts of names and had ketchup squirt all over my uniform by protestors at a university once.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 28, 2014 at 3:03 PM
I attend a religious "pacifist" school and they have made comments that bothered me before. For instance during lecture while talking about the immune system my instructor used white blood cells as soldiers as an analogy and then apologized to the class for using the military as an example since the school doesn't agree with the military. Another instructor said he hopes the base just gets blown up right away if something were to happen so that the area could live in peace. To be so anti military of a school that sure do not mind using my GI bill to pay for tuition! (SMH) Anyway, other than this most extreme difference it's a good school in every other way so I still go, and they have an excellent program.
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 28, 2014 at 3:22 PM

When my husband was re-classing we had a huge storm blow through. We had 90 mile an hour straight winds. When I drove in to work the flag pole company's flag was down. I went around it and parked, went and picked it up and placed it next to the building. As I was doing that, the other gal came in. She beat me inside and then asked where I was. I told her what I was doing and she responded with "What your are becoming all patriotic now that your husband is in the military?" I was very pissed off about that! I grew up and have always been that the flag does not touch the ground. Even if that wasn't the case, I would still have moved it so people didn't drive over it, or ruin cars going around it! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)