Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Soldier's Disrespectful 'Selfie' Gets Her in Major Trouble‚Äč

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:56 PM
  • 19 Replies

Soldier's Disrespectful 'Selfie' Gets Her in Major Trouble‚Äč

by Kiri Blakeley

No matter how many people either get arrested or at least get a heap of scorn for posting stupid selfies, well, people are gonna keep on doing it! There is just something about showing off your antics, be they criminal or just inappropriate in nature, that seems to be irresistible for many. It's almost like it didn't happen if other people don't see it! The latest person to join the ranks of selfie stupidity is Army private Tariqka Sheffey, who posted a pic of herself on Instagram hiding in her car so she wouldn't have to salute the flag.

Sheffey captioned the pic:

This is me laying back in my car hiding so I don't have to salute the 1700 flag. KEEP ALL YOUR 'THATS SO DISRESPECTFUL/HOWRUDE/ETC.' COMMENTS TO YOURSELF cuz, right now, IDGAFFFF.

Well, I hope she doesn't give a FFFF about the buttload of trouble she's gotten herself into. Reportedly, her superiors are investigating her lack of respect, not to mention the lack of actually doing her job. Yeah, maybe you don't want to salute the flag, but then why sign up for a job where you have to salute the flag? This would be like me refusing to type.

Also being investigated is Staff Sgt. Cherish Byers, whose picture of herself tongue kissing a POW MIA symbol also went viral recently.

Over at the Gorgeous Active Duty Females Facebook page, however, most who posted on a thread about Sheffey admitted to shirking flag duty occasionally or running from the barracks to avoid saluting a superior. But no one could seem to understand why she had chosen to brag about it on social media. Wrote one commenter:

Why would you snitch on yourself????

Why indeed? I have a few theories when people do these kinds of things on social media: 1) They want to get caught. People on the whole generally feel safer with boundaries, and sometimes they test them. They actually want to see if anyone is paying attention. 2) They have the "I'm special" mentality and think that somehow they are above it all and no one will actually dare to discipline them. 3) They are just generally unthinking and live in a kind of bubble where only the people they want to see things will see them.

I'm honestly thrilled that I didn't grow up in the age of social media because I can only imagine what teens and early 20s idiocy of mine would be floating around the web right now.

Apparently somewhat humbled -- or at least worried -- about the uproar the pic caused, Sheffey apologized in a video, saying:

I seriously just want to say thank you to everybody who stood up to me today, like seriously. That shit to me was not serious. I am not a disrespectful soldier, and I really appreciate you all.

Maybe she was just having a little bit of a laugh and everyone has overreacted. But this is what growing up is about. Taking your knocks and dealing with the consequences of your actions.

Have you ever posted anything stupid to social media?

What do you think about what she did?

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 3:02 PM
4 moms liked this
Yay an other shit bag out! Making room for real soldiers
SusanD
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Apparently there is a LOT more to this. I read earlier today that upon investigation this wasn't an isolated incident and that there was a record of shit like this and worse that she has posted, said, done, etc.

twinkersmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish we had a "special kind" of boot camp for these types.

JMmama
by Kara on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Interesting. She was really stupid for posting it on social media but I can't imagine anyone thinks she is the only person to ever dodge retreat. It makes sense there is more to it.

Quoting SusanD:

Apparently there is a LOT more to this. I read earlier today that upon investigation this wasn't an isolated incident and that there was a record of shit like this and worse that she has posted, said, done, etc.

cocoroo
by Coco on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I showed my dh and he said she is lucky she isn't around here, lol.

Izsarejman
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:35 PM
I think everyone scattered during that 5 minute warning. Especially during winters at Great Lakes. However none were stupid enough to post it or brag.

She's not going to have a long career. I still would hate to be still in the military where my gender defines me. She'd probably call me a dependapotamus and I would have to tell her I'm a female dependapotamus.

And judging from that FB page, they have a lot more to worry about.
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:44 PM
People do not think before they do things :/.
LeJane
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:38 PM
3 moms liked this

Ditto,    I will help you with the curriculum   :-)  

ninjaslap

Quoting twinkersmom:

I wish we had a "special kind" of boot camp for these types.

LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:18 AM

Yeah, people don't think before doing, saying, or posting things.  She deserves whatever is coming to her.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Mar. 1, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Asshat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)