Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

All eyes are on Russia

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:47 AM
  • 17 Replies

It seems that everyone is talking about a return of Cold War era hostilities between the US and their Allies and Russia for their actions in the Ukraine.

I haven't been paying much attention to it to be honest other than a snippet of a newscast here and  a headline of an article there.

Anyone else thinking we have too much going on on the home front to even consider a conflict with yet another country?

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Yes and let's hope our country's leaders feel the same way.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I agree we have enough to be getting on with here, but politicians are all dipshits, so we'll see...

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:14 AM

From what I can understand from various news outlets everyone SEEMS adamant that we are not going to do anything militarily so I hope that holds true. Putin concerns me though so we shall see how this plays out. The absolute only silver lining I can see is perhaps it might highlight how scary Hagel's suggested cuts might be. Clearly we need to be prepared for the instability around the globe "just in case".

sahmw2010
by Beth on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:27 AM
I have a huge feeling that they are going to go ahead and cut everyone they wanted cut, and then we will be hit bad by someone.

Quoting Molimomma:

From what I can understand from various news outlets everyone SEEMS adamant that we are not going to do anything militarily so I hope that holds true. Putin concerns me though so we shall see how this plays out. The absolute only silver lining I can see is perhaps it might highlight how scary Hagel's suggested cuts might be. Clearly we need to be prepared for the instability around the globe "just in case".

marymac87
by New Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
We def have too much going on here at home. Like why is congress voting to block veterans benefits? It frustrates me that our government loves to get into others business and send our family members off to fight but when they return they don't want to show thanks?
And how they avoid what is going on here at all costs if they can.
USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:34 PM

There is no way we are getting involved any further than sanctions. I don't think it's a conflict that is even under consideration. 

dockyswifey
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Obama just needs to stay the hell out of it. Putin is not a man to screw with. Putin would eat Obama up and shit him out.
USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:18 PM
5 moms liked this

Ok, so I don't think we 'need' to stay out of it. I think what's going on between Russia and Ukraine is deplorable. I also think Vladamir Putin is a current day Hitler. What's happening in Russia is inhumane and a disgrace. However, our country is in such shape that we can't fight anyone else. I'm pretty certain our leadership knows that as they have spoken about it publically- saying we will assist in ways that don't involve boots on the ground. 

Russia is such a force in the world right now it's very scary. If there were a way for us to productively fight this battle, I think it's worth consideration. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it's always been just a matter of time before the former Soviet block countries return to Mother Russia, and they become the Holy Russian Empire. It's inevitable. It always has been. They're too poor, and there is too much corruption.
NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I believe that people mistakenly jump to militaristic actions when an issue like this occurs. There are so many other ways to respond. I think that financial sanctions are often a lot more effective and can be more damaging. If Russia continues on their current path I think the response needs to be united. Not one or two countries threatening military actions. If the other major powers got together and came up with a plan that would squeeze Russia financially it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I don't hold out much hope since no one ever seems to be on the same page. Starting a war with them would be ignorant and only end in disaster. I agree that we can't involve ourselves in every squabble but with someone like Putin doing what he is doing now we have to watch carefully. A lot of people are preaching an isolationist view but strictly isolationist ideals can pose huge issues. As with Hitler in Germany, if we turn a blind eye it could be disastrous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)