Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

8-Year-Old Honors Deceased Military Dad

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:06 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

8-Year-Old Honors Deceased Military Dad With Heartbreakingly Beautiful Gesture (VIDEO)

by Michele Zipp

myles eckert letterEight-year-old Myles Eckert was in an Ohio Cracker Barrel parking lot with his family on their way to lunch when he found a $20 bill. Like most kids his age (or really anyone who found it of any age), he began thinking about what he wanted to spend it on. He thought about buying a video game but that thought changed when he saw a soldier in uniform.

Myles's father, Army Sgt. Andy Eckert, was killed in Iraq five weeks before he was born. He never got to meet his dad, but he thinks of him all the time. And in his father's honor, Myles decided to not only give the soldier he saw the money, but a note.

That man in uniform is Lt. Col. Frank Dailey. And this is letter Myles gave him:

Dear Soldier, 

My dad was a soldier. He's in heaven now. I found this 20 dollars in the parking lot when we got here. We like to pay it forward in my family. It's your lucky day!

Thank you for your service.

Myles Eckert, a gold star kid.

Incredible. This kid ... wow. Such emotion and respect and love he has in honor of his father, and his family who clearly are raising him to be such a great young man. About his father, Myles said, "I imagine him as a really nice person and somebody that would be really fun." I imagine Myles to be the same way -- just like his hero father.

After lunch that day, Myles's mom Tiffany said that he wanted to go see his dad so they went to the cemetery. Myles hugs his father's headstone when he visits.

As for Lt. Col. Frank Dailey who was given that touching gift from Myles, he is a changed man. "I look at it every day," Dailey said of the letter. And he says it meant the world to him and has given him a "lifetime direction." Those words Myles wrote -- "thank you" -- that says it all. I want to thank Myles. Thank his father. And thank Lt. Col. Dailey. All heroes. Dailey gave the $20 to another person in a beautiful pay-it-forward gesture and he hopes that spirit of kindness that Myles shared goes on and on.

What do you think of Myles's beautiful gesture?

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Awww- tears. *sniff, sniff*

How sweet. =(

USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:25 PM

My husband, who rarely gets emotional over anything, even found this touching. I, of course, was sobbing. 

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:53 PM

very sweet!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I saw this on FB...really sweet!

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I cried when I read this the other day. The photo of him hugging his father's headstone was heart breaking. What a sweet child. 

JMmama
by Kara on Mar. 3, 2014 at 4:31 PM
That is really sweet.
blondie.mom
by Charity on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Dh sent this to me earlier, I cried like a baby.
mandaschelle
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:37 PM
I saw this on FB and didn't even make it half way through before I was bawling.
Izsarejman
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:05 PM
Well that made me cry. What a sweet boy. His dad would be so proud. Tearing up again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)