Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Off To Boot Camp He Goes

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:58 PM
  • 36 Replies

Hi, I'm Meg. I'm sixteen (kind of young I admit) but I needed a little advice and I need it now. 

My boyfriend is almost eighteen, he's about to graduate and about to enlist in the Navy. We've both done Navy ROTC through out our high school years, Justin is an ensign and I am a Petty Officer First class. I'm the leader of my class and that means I have a very small window that I can wiggle around in and make mistakes in. 

Valentines day was five months that I've been with Justin and that was the night that I lost my innocence, and might have gotten pregnant. I never thought I'd be sixteen and pregnant but I made a stupid mistake and now I'm showing signs of early pregnancy. In this case Justin would gain legal guardianship over me (which there is lawful cause due to my household conditions and if I did turn up pregnant my parents would give me the boot) and then enlist. In the six weeks he would be at boot camp I would stay with my best friend since middle school and then when Justin came back we would get a couples room on base. I would then have a military ID and would be able to shop at our Navy Exchange and our Commisary. 

In the case that I'm not pregnant Justin will wait until after I graduate to enlist, and then after that we'd carry out life like that. 

Thats not entirely what I'm worried about. I'm worried that I won't know how to cope with him going off to boot camp. I hate being away from him for more than a few days, six weeks is going to chew my heart out and spit it up on the sidewalk and trudge away laughing. How do women cope with this? I've googled it and googled it so many times but I need words from someone who's been through it. And deployment. I don't even want to think about it. Six months or more with limited contact and 135.5 days of counting. I apologize if I sound young, and dumb and naive but I can't stop thinking about this stuff. It's probably really stupid to plan and organize my life around someone I've only been with for half a year while I'm still in highschool and my grades are slipping down to my ankles but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, and here's someone I trust and love and someone who I know for a fact would never let me go without and I dont know, the thought that he could vanish is the scarriest thing ever. 

So here alies the question, how do I cope with the separation?

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TAG9lbs
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Sure i'll give it a shot. 

Write letters at least once a week. get use to the fact that A) he is a guy while he will appreciate your letters he may not feel as interested in writing letters back. B) he also might have a job that prevents him from wirting very often so yeah you may go awhile with out smeaking to him. Have a picture by ur bed to say goodnight to every night. Throw urself in to your school work having somethig to preoccupy your mind with will prevent you from focusing on him not being there and give you something to wirte about. 

Even though I bring this up too much i feel strongly about it due to a mast that occured on one of my deployments. Send US snail mail. If you send it over the internet at least 10 other people will view what you have written and any PICTURES you might include. If you send it through snail mail it will be for the eyes of the person the letter is addressed too only. 

Also that quick internet response and lack of quick replies has ended a lot of relationships that for all i know were doomed to begin with. The snail mail requires patients relationships in the military require time patients and dedication. 

I've got other things to say but nothing nice so I will end it there.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:42 PM
3 moms liked this
Wait. That would make him a single parent. Are they even going to let him enlist if you are pregnant?

ETA: There is so much wrong with this story. I just can't.
Mizuagi
by Brenda on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, if you are pregnant, he would be a single parent and won't be able to enlist anyways.

If you're not pregnant and he enlists after he graduates, you'll be ok. You're 16- you'll probably be busy with school stuff while he's gone.

Take some days apart to get used to the idea of him being gone. I was with my husband for 5 years before he left for training and I survived- you will too. Stay busy and time will go by fast.
DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM
Yeah...One, I'm finding it hard to belive a 16 year old wrote this. Two, I've never heard of unmarried couples getting base housing let alone " couples rooms". Where are those located???
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:36 AM
2 moms liked this

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Hmmmm...I'm confused....or maybe just skeptical?

mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Same here with the skepticism. It's the "couples room" thing that really gets me going "riiiggghhht"

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hmmmm...I'm confused....or maybe just skeptical?

mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:00 AM
Same here.

Quoting DvlDogWfe: Yeah...One, I'm finding it hard to belive a 16 year old wrote this. Two, I've never heard of unmarried couples getting base housing let alone " couples rooms". Where are those located???
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:01 AM
Yah dh and I spent a few nights in a "couple's room" on post before we got married. Lmao!
Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:33 AM
All I can say is good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)