Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Stuttgart Germany...PCS

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM
  • 20 Replies

I have a few questions.  We will be PCSing to Panzer Germany next summer (2015).  

I figure we will end up living on Stuttgart as most housing is there from what I can tell.  Here are my questions:

How is the housing for Majors?  We have 2 boys...so I know we will qualify for 3 bedrooms, but I didn't know if we will be in the stairwell housing or a townhouse or something.

What do you recommend for vehicles?  We have a camaro and an avalanche...probably taking the avalanche and selling the camaro before we leave...but I know the gas is high and parking spaces are not big.

how are the schools?  Our kids will be in 6th and 9th grade when we move.

Thanks!!!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
omerciful1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM

It's been a while since we left there but we have friends who just came back. Patch and Robinson Barracks have the most housing, and i believe it is all stairwell. Panzer has housing and a huge new PX, and I think Kelly still has housing but these two are smaller than the others. To my knowledge there are no townhouses at any of them, just stairwell. Some of the stairwells are bigger than others- 16 families, 8 families and i believe 4 family stairwells. Robinson has an elementary school and the middle and high school are at Patch.

cocoroo
by Coco on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I'm jealous.  We had orders for Stuttgart and they changed it to Baumholder.  We are getting rid of one of our cars before we leave and we are taking our Subaru Cross Trek.  I have heard that the schools in Stuttgart are good and that the area is really pretty.  My oldest son is stationed in K-town and was in Stuttgart after Christmas, he said it is crazy to drive there.  I have a friend that lived there for 3 years (not military) and she absolutely loved it.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:37 PM

My husband lived in Germany for 15 years. The last time he was stationed there, he shipped his Dodge Ram pickup and he said that was a mistake - it was difficult driving around Europe in a truck. Their streets, parking and garages aren't designed for big vehicles. 

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM

You will have problems parking the Avalanche in garages. My friend has her 1/2 ton dodge and says she just makes her own parking spots. With your Esso card and rations for gas it is fairly equivalent to what you pay in the states. You go over your rations then yes it is expensive. We put in 15$ worth of gas when we ran out 2 months ago and it cost 30$. Rarely do we run out of rations, but hubby was carting a new guy around. We are in K town so don't know much on Stuttgart. 

Runner36
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Okay....sounds good...I am going to talk to my dh about the vehicle...I am also concerned about the space in housing...We used to have a 2300 sq ft home and I am sure we won't be able to fit all that furniture in the housing in Germany.  Also do we need to bring washer/ dryer?  Thank you all for all of your information...keep it coming :D

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:40 PM

FMO should supply you with a Washer and Dryer. I had read that you were not suppose to bring the washer and dryer. I am trying not to be too confused, maybe someone else can answer this. But does it say Panzer Stuttgart? There is a Panzer in K Town. I just think it is odd that there would be 2 Panzer's.

Quoting Runner36:

Okay....sounds good...I am going to talk to my dh about the vehicle...I am also concerned about the space in housing...We used to have a 2300 sq ft home and I am sure we won't be able to fit all that furniture in the housing in Germany.  Also do we need to bring washer/ dryer?  Thank you all for all of your information...keep it coming :D

Runner36
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Sorry about that...My husband will be working on Panzer Kaserne (?)  But it is right by Stuttgart and whenever I google Panzer Kaserne it leads me to the main Stuttgart page.  So I am thinking it is the same one you posted...

Quoting barrelracer1699:

FMO should supply you with a Washer and Dryer. I had read that you were not suppose to bring the washer and dryer. I am trying not to be too confused, maybe someone else can answer this. But does it say Panzer Stuttgart? There is a Panzer in K Town. I just think it is odd that there would be 2 Panzer's.

Quoting Runner36:

CafeMom Tickers
cocoroo
by Coco on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Panzer just means "tank" in German, so there are several Panzer bases.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Quoting Runner36:

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Well then either there are two Panzer Kaserne, or Google is screwed up! 

Quoting Runner36:

Sorry about that...My husband will be working on Panzer Kaserne (?)  But it is right by Stuttgart and whenever I google Panzer Kaserne it leads me to the main Stuttgart page.  So I am thinking it is the same one you posted...

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Quoting Runner36:

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Well see, now I learned something new! 

Quoting cocoroo:

Panzer just means "tank base" in German, so there are several Panzer bases.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Quoting Runner36:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN