Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Command sponsership

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:12 AM
  • 69 Replies
So i was told on another spouse page that you have to have command sponsership for Alska... Because apparently now AK and Hawii are now considered over seas????? Whatever. Anyone have info if there is truth to this? And if so, what needs to be done on either hubbys end or mine to get this process started?
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:18 AM
4 moms liked this

Alaska and Hawaii have always been OCONUS assignments (overseas). You have to go through the same process as you would any overseas assignment and your husband needs to get the ball rolling once his orders drop. Any assignment that your family is on the orders for is 'command sponsored'. It's considered 'unaccompanied' if only your husband is on the orders. This is all reffering to my experience as an AF spouse, but I would assume this is all relatively the same across the board.

USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:22 AM
2 moms liked this

I wanted to add that usually the thing that makes most people most nervous is the medical clearance portion of your screening (EFMP). Alaska and Hawaii both have fairly large and adequate medical facilities. As long as there are no major illnesses/issues you should be fine.

Also, the main difference in going to Alaska/Hawaii vs a typical overseas assignment is you won't need a passport- as long as you aren't driving through Canada to get there. If you do intend on going through Canada you'll need a passport and more than likely you will not get a no-fee passport because it's not mandatory for those locations. So you would need a tourist passport that you pay for.

Good luck!

sahmw2010
by Beth on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Soooo whats the difference between sponsorship for AK vs Italy?! The whole "argument" was that he disnt want todeal with getting us a command sponsorship to go to Italy..... But we still need one for AK? And we would be driving cross country to WA state and taking the ferry into AK. HE can fly... Im gonna site see

Quoting USAFamily:

Alaska and Hawaii have always been OCONUS assignments (overseas). You have to go through the same process as you would any overseas assignment and your husband needs to get the ball rolling once his orders drop. Any assignment that your family is on the orders for is 'command sponsored'. It's considered 'unaccompanied' if only your husband is on the orders. This is all reffering to my experience as an AF spouse, but I would assume this is all relatively the same across the board.

USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:03 AM

No difference. It's the exact same process. I've been through it for Alaska, Spain, and Norway- it's the same everytime. The only exception is you're going to have to buy a tourist Visa since you're going to Ferry from Wa. State through Canada. If you flew, you wouldn't need one because you'd be flying state to state. 

Quoting sahmw2010: Soooo whats the difference between sponsorship for AK vs Italy?! The whole "argument" was that he disnt want todeal with getting us a command sponsorship to go to Italy..... But we still need one for AK? And we would be driving cross country to WA state and taking the ferry into AK. HE can fly... Im gonna site see
Quoting USAFamily:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:07 AM
You have to have command sponsorship if you want your travel paid for. Otherwise, you can freely move to either of those places without it. In cases where you'd need permission to live in another country with your military spouse as an American living abroad, command sponsorship is needed.
USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Kind of. This is pretty tricky. In order for you to move somewhere non-command sponsored you need to have the ability to leave every few months. In the EU, it's illeagal for you to stay longer than 90 days. So you have to go to a non-EU country and have your Visa stamped before that time expires. If not, you can be deported. Also, because you're not command sponsored your children cannot attend school and you can't live on base (if you wanted to). People do come unaccompanied, but it's not as simple as this sounds and becomes extremely expensive. 

Quoting Anonymous: You have to have command sponsorship if you want your travel paid for. Otherwise, you can freely move to either of those places without it. In cases where you'd need permission to live in another country with your military spouse as an American living abroad, command sponsorship is needed.

USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Oh, I wanted to add that you can't just leave the country and return immediately. You have to leave the country and stay gone for 90 days to establish you do not live in country (because technically if you're not command sponsored you are not supposed to be living in said country).

Obviously, this is all different if it's to Alaska/Hawaii. I'm speaking in terms of international pcs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Alaska and Hawaii are part of the US. She can go live there at any time. If she wants her travel covered, she needs command sponsorship. I was stationed in Alaska and people married civilians all the time. Their spouses didn't need command sponsorship because they weren't in a country where Americans needed permission to live there. It's no different than being stationed in the continental US as far as housing or school.

Quoting USAFamily:

Kind of. This is pretty tricky. In order for you to move somewhere non-command sponsored you need to have the ability to leave every few months. In the EU, it's illeagal for you to stay longer than 90 days. So you have to go to a non-EU country and have your Visa stamped before that time expires. If not, you can be deported. Also, because you're not command sponsored your children cannot attend school and you can't live on base (if you wanted to). People do come unaccompanied, but it's not as simple as this sounds and becomes extremely expensive. 

Quoting Anonymous: You have to have command sponsorship if you want your travel paid for. Otherwise, you can freely move to either of those places without it. In cases where you'd need permission to live in another country with your military spouse as an American living abroad, command sponsorship is needed.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM
So your saying we CAN do without the command spinsorship, but without it, he wont get his tdy (or whatver that money os called) an we will have to pay outta pocket for the travel there for myself and kids?

Quoting Anonymous: Alaska and Hawaii are part of the US. She can go live there at any time. If she wants her travel covered, she needs command sponsorship. I was stationed in Alaska and people married civilians all the time. Their spouses didn't need command sponsorship because they weren't in a country where Americans needed permission to live there. It's no different than being stationed in the continental US as far as housing or school.

Quoting USAFamily:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:52 AM
You have to be on his orders to get your travel paid for regardless of whether it's an overseas move or not. That's basically what command sponsorship entails, getting put on the orders. He will only get enough money to move himself if you're not on them.

Quoting sahmw2010: So your saying we CAN do without the command spinsorship, but without it, he wont get his tdy (or whatver that money os called) an we will have to pay outta pocket for the travel there for myself and kids?

Quoting Anonymous: Alaska and Hawaii are part of the US. She can go live there at any time. If she wants her travel covered, she needs command sponsorship. I was stationed in Alaska and people married civilians all the time. Their spouses didn't need command sponsorship because they weren't in a country where Americans needed permission to live there. It's no different than being stationed in the continental US as far as housing or school.

Quoting USAFamily:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)