Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Mold house update * ETA results in comments

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

So we are still in TLF its been over 2 weeks now. They ripped out all of the duct work which was apparently the problem (it was metal and sweating, causing mold to grow in the ceiling). So they did all that and told us that they wouldnt move us back in until the air quality test results were better inside than outside (because we demanded they move us but they refuse so thats their "compromise").

So after they did all of that work the air quality test failed!! Even after they had air scrubbers running in the house the whole time and for 3 days after the work was finished. After that they turned them off for 3 days to let the house become its own environment before doing the air quality test. Well it failed. The said its because the doors were open a lot during the construction and its from all of the dust from the work and blah blah blah. So they want to clean the house and shampoo the carpets again (only the bedrooms are carpeted). They said that is the reason it failed and should pass when they are done.

Would you think it would honestly pass after cleaning the house and carpets??? I find it doubtful. I understand the house had dust and stuff from the work and all that but they did have the industrial air scrubbers going so wouldnt that have cleaned it??? We are worried it will fail again and they are offering us no solution other than staying in the hotel we are living in. They said after this they will test again and are sure it will pass (??). But they have offered us no end solution if it doesnt. We have been house hunting for a rental like crazy but havent found anything yet, but we arent able to move out anyways while this is all going on.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Izsarejman
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I still don't understand why they won't just issue you all new quarters. One would think that would be more cost effective in the long run. It sounds like that unit should just be condemned.
mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:05 AM
I'm sorry you guys are going through all of that. Try ahrn.com. We found the house we are renting on that site. It's specifically geared towards military families. Your situation is exactly why we didn't get on post housing. You arent the first person I have heard of to have this type of situation happen to. Its a shame that they feel that its ok to allow people to live like that and that you have to fight to have any of it fixed.
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Yeah this. At our last duty station several houses had mold issues, they had NO problem moving those families to a different house and then doing all the work needed on it. It seems like it would be cheaper in the long run to do it that way.

Quoting Izsarejman: I still don't understand why they won't just issue you all new quarters. One would think that would be more cost effective in the long run. It sounds like that unit should just be condemned.

mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM
One of my husband's soldiers has been dealing with a roach and a plumbing problem for the last 6 months in their on post housing. They were finally just put up in a hotel while the issues get resolved and they're PCSing at the end of the month. It's really sad that they feel its acceptable to allow people to live like that. And they just opened up brand new housing so they could have sent them there.

Quoting Izsarejman: I still don't understand why they won't just issue you all new quarters. One would think that would be more cost effective in the long run. It sounds like that unit should just be condemned.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Because the rude community manager with her Chanel and designer clothes thinks we should be grateful that we are even allowed to live on base. Seriously this woman is sooooo rude and uncaring. The housing is privatized and they can literally do whatever they want as long as they are "fixing" the problem. She actually told us that they will never move us no matter the circumstances. If this were government housing this would never have gone on this long. The most ridiculous part is they are paying TLF $70 a day to keep us in a hotel. If they were smart they would have just moved us already and saved themselves the cost. But im not smart like her I guess.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Wow. Who is doing the duct work and cleaning? Maintenance? I'm also wondering why they just don't replace the carpet or just pull it up and leave bare floor. Who is the leasing co?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Quoting mnkymommy08: I'm sorry you guys are going through all of that. Try ahrn.com. We found the house we are renting on that site. It's specifically geared towards military families. Your situation is exactly why we didn't get on post housing. You arent the first person I have heard of to have this type of situation happen to. Its a shame that they feel that its ok to allow people to live like that and that you have to fight to have any of it fixed.

Oh im on AHRN like all day and zillow, trulia and Ive been driving around looking. I am desperate to find a decent house. Im trying to make sure we find a good home that wont cause the family anymore problems, im trying to be smart about it and think of the long term. We are going to be here a long time and I dont want to end up in another bad situation. If we were still living in the house id be in a hurry but luckily that is not the case.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Yeah this. At our last duty station several houses had mold issues, they had NO problem moving those families to a different house and then doing all the work needed on it. It seems like it would be cheaper in the long run to do it that way.

Exactly! Common sense would tell you that right?? We cant understand why they wont. My only guess is they are worried that other families will start coming forward and then they will have to spend more money base wide. We arent the only ones but our situation is a lot worse than many others. At our last duty station there were similar issues with the old homes and same thing like you said, they had no problems moving people. They wanted to get the homes fixed since they have to maintain them for 50 years. But not here ..they are stupid here.

Izsarejman
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:19 AM
I remember when housing was not privatized and they were actually helpful. They are taking every dime of your BAH and not being accommodating. In a normal world, those are grounds for termination. They probably draw up their contracts in such a way that this is all allowed. That's what irks me about your situation. I've been following it because we are PCSing for a year and my husband is seriously considering housing because we are only going to be there a short time. Your story and the others I am reading on here are really making me hope I can talk him out of this. Hopefully things work out and it has to be demoralizing for your entire family to deal with this.
mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:23 AM
We are here until further notice unless DH decides not to reenlist next year (highly doubtful that he'll decide that). It took me about 2 weeks on ahrn to find this house and I looked at a ton of other places. This one was last on my list. Lol. We pay $800 a month for 5 BR, 2 full bath, huge LR, kitchen/dining room area and a decent sized fenced in yard. They have a maintenance person that comes asap and we are in a nice quiet neighborhood close to post. We have to mow the yard and take care of the weeds but i dont mind that. Our utilities come to about $200 a month. Good luck on your search

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mnkymommy08: I'm sorry you guys are going through all of that. Try ahrn.com. We found the house we are renting on that site. It's specifically geared towards military families. Your situation is exactly why we didn't get on post housing. You arent the first person I have heard of to have this type of situation happen to. Its a shame that they feel that its ok to allow people to live like that and that you have to fight to have any of it fixed.

Oh im on AHRN like all day and zillow, trulia and Ive been driving around looking. I am desperate to find a decent house. Im trying to make sure we find a good home that wont cause the family anymore problems, im trying to be smart about it and think of the long term. We are going to be here a long time and I dont want to end up in another bad situation. If we were still living in the house id be in a hurry but luckily that is not the case.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)