Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Divorcing

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't have the energy or emotions to get into many details right now, but it looks like DH's desire to drink is stronger than his desire to stay married to his five months pregnant wife. We have been married for only two years so I know the rules about spouse financial protection don't apply to me.

Does anyone know:
1. If we get a legal separation, can I still live in the off-base house we share and pay for with BAH?

2. If we get a divorce and we have a baby, does he get dependent pay for that child if he is the non-custodial parent?

3. If we are divorced does the child stay on Tricare if needed?

4. Any other important things I should know about?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashwee356
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM

No clue

Good luck.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Edit to clarify #2

1 IDK

2. Yes

3. He will receive BAH for dependants depending on the court order. 

4. There is lots that you need to know based on more specific information. JAG will NOT represent you, but they can advise you.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 2:04 PM

1. If we get a legal separation, can I still live in the off-base house we share and pay for with BAH?  maybe, this depends on if you can afford it and whose name is on the lease

2. If we get a divorce and we have a baby, does he get dependent pay for that child if he is the non-custodial parent? there is no such thing as dependent pay, what he would get as far as BAH would depend on the court order for support and what rank he is

3. If we are divorced does the child stay on Tricare if needed? yes as long as your ex stays military

4. Any other important things I should know about? check your state- many do not allow divorces if the woman is pregnant, you may have to wait until after the child is born before you can file for divorce

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 2:12 PM
I don't know but hopefully these answers will give you the info you need. So sorry that your husband has a drinking problem.
ashwee356
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Not that I'm getting divorced, but I've always been curious- if they baby has Tricare and an appointment on base and the mom has custody but no longer has an ID.. How do they get on base? Do you lose your ID card if you get a divorce? Does the kid get an ID card?

Quoting gunsgirl:

1. If we get a legal separation, can I still live in the off-base house we share and pay for with BAH?  maybe, this depends on if you can afford it and whose name is on the lease2. If we get a divorce and we have a baby, does he get dependent pay for that child if he is the non-custodial parent? there is no such thing as dependent pay, what he would get as far as BAH would depend on the court order for support and what rank he is3. If we are divorced does the child stay on Tricare if needed? yes as long as your ex stays military4. Any other important things I should know about? check your state- many do not allow divorces if the woman is pregnant, you may have to wait until after the child is born before you can file for divorce

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:22 PM

The dependant child has an ID. And the child does not have to be seen on post. Once your divorce is final you no longer have an ID card.

Quoting ashwee356:

Not that I'm getting divorced, but I've always been curious- if they baby has Tricare and an appointment on base and the mom has custody but no longer has an ID.. How do they get on base? Do you lose your ID card if you get a divorce? Does the kid get an ID card?

Quoting gunsgirl:

1. If we get a legal separation, can I still live in the off-base house we share and pay for with BAH?  maybe, this depends on if you can afford it and whose name is on the lease2. If we get a divorce and we have a baby, does he get dependent pay for that child if he is the non-custodial parent? there is no such thing as dependent pay, what he would get as far as BAH would depend on the court order for support and what rank he is3. If we are divorced does the child stay on Tricare if needed? yes as long as your ex stays military4. Any other important things I should know about? check your state- many do not allow divorces if the woman is pregnant, you may have to wait until after the child is born before you can file for divorce

ashwee356
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Interesting!

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

The dependant child has an ID. And the child does not have to be seen on post. Once your divorce is final you no longer have an ID card.

Quoting ashwee356:

Quoting gunsgirl:

sahmw2010
by Beth on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:03 PM
The child has a card and is on standard. Of course we didnt get a divorce, BUT we were not married when i had my son. I was brought to the coast guard thing and our son was issued an ID at under 1 yrs old. Lol. I would show his id just the same as I do now

Quoting ashwee356:

Quoting gunsgirl:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I wish you the best!  

JMmama
by Kara on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:15 PM
Good luck! I'm sorry you have to go through this!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN