Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

If the proposed cuts are made....

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 2:17 PM
  • 43 Replies

If the proposed budget cuts are made, how will it effect your family and your situation?

by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reina13
by Reina on Mar. 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I am most concerned about the changes to Tricare and how it is going to effect my sons medical care, as well as how it is going to impact my father (retiree) financially.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 2:25 PM

only the tricare costs because DH is retiring this year.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Mar. 11, 2014 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

ditto

Quoting gunsgirl:

only the tricare costs because DH is retiring this year.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Other than BAH biting us when this temporary assignment is over it might not hurt too bad. We have been blessed so far with good health (knock wood) so in reading it so far it shouldn't be too bad. Unfortunately, since we are in year 2 of a 4 year temporary duty assignment there is no telling how bad it could be for us at the next duty station.

Runner36
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think most of it will really affect us.  We use TriCare Prime already so we are used to going to the doc on post and waiting for our prescriptions...no big deal.  

As for BAH...we always rent several hundred BELOW what we receive in BAH so we are used to living off of less BAH...again, not a big deal.

DOD schools...not a big deal...our kids have always gone to public schools...we are used to over-crowded classes, crappy teachers and disrespectful children...I supplement at home ;)

Pay raise...at least it is 1%...could be nothing.

Commissaries...now that is the one that really would affect us..I do all of our grocery shopping on post.  And when we move to Germany..again...all grocery shopping will be on post...guess I'll really have to watch the sales!!

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Mar. 11, 2014 at 3:04 PM

None of it will impact us unless they decide to screw with retirement or VA benefits. We didn't keep Tricare because DH has full benefits through his new employer.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 11, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

None of it will impact us unless they decide to screw with retirement or VA benefits. We didn't keep Tricare because DH has full benefits through his new employer.

Question-if your DH quits, or retires from that job etc can he always go back to using tricare as a retiree from the military?

JMmama
by Kara on Mar. 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Right now, it won't affect us much, with the exception of Tricare. We are on standard right now and I'm not exactly sure what the proposed changes to Tricare are.
USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM

With the exception of retirement benefits we won't be impacted at all.

mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 3:49 PM
Just the BAH and commissary changes will effect us. We got a great deal on our house but 5 BR usually go for more than our BAH here. Right now our BAH covers utilities and rent. When we move that wont be the case anymore. We do all of our shopping at the commissary and it saves us a lot of $.Especially on things for the girls' school lunches.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)