Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you know about special education laws?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:18 PM
  • 24 Replies

You all know that I've been trying to help my daughter with her reading.....     

Long story as short as possible: I requested that my daughter be tested back in October for a learning disability. She was/is very behind in reading/reading comprehension, spelling, speech and handwriting. Something just didn't seem right..... hence the request for the IEPA meeting. They "tested" Sam and determined that she was not far enough behind for the school to intervene. (I was told  and am still being told that Sam had/has to behind a minimum of two years before the school would offer help.... I can't find this two year crap in any laws or other literature.) Over the course of this year I had Sam's vision tested, went to an audiologist and my last resort was to take her to a Psychologist. 

Fast forward to yesterday. She was examined by an education psychologist and he determined that she has ADHD. (We go for a full educational evaluation in two weeks to determine if she has any other learning disabilities.) So I called the school and they are offering no real help (still). I've read though IDEA and Child Find and both say that ADHD diagnosis alone doesn't qualify her for help.... BUT because she is suffering academically they MUST provide her with help. Sammy is reading on an early first grade level not on a late second grade. The psychologist kept asking me what she was saying because he couldn't understand her with her speech delay. ( another resource I have requested for Sam)

So how do I force their hand and MAKE them help my child? I am so angry I can't stand it.... any help you can provide I would be truly grateful!

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I wish I could help.  The schools were always very helpful with my daughter's speech.  She was in speech from the time she was 2 until the end of 4th grade.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:30 PM

This one has been a pain in the ass.... I'm really glad your daughter got the proper services. :)

Quoting cocoroo:

I wish I could help.  The schools were always very helpful with my daughter's speech.  She was in speech from the time she was 2 until the end of 4th grade.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:31 PM

IDEA and a "Notice of Procedural Safeguards" are the guidelines we used but that was for a dodea school overseas...

I recently did a term paper on ADHD and found this book to be very helpful when you run into problems dealing with the school.  "Making the System Work for your Child With ADHD" by Jensen

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Jas you are awesome. I will order the book NOW.

As for IDEA I've read though it forwards and backwards and it seems to me that the school failed her back in October by failing to screen her properly. Then again we all read thing in a light that best suits our current needs.

Quoting jas_momof2:

IDEA and a "Notice of Procedural Safeguards" are the guidelines we used but that was for a dodea school overseas...

I recently did a term paper on ADHD and found this book to be very helpful when you run into problems dealing with the school.  "Making the System Work for your Child With ADHD" by Jensen

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM

That is true.  ADHD is over diagnosed where other disorders tend to mimic it.  It could be that they didn't feel that was something to look at - maybe they didn't want to...  I don't know but I've skimmed through that book and it seemed to be pretty packed with information.  The library on base had it. 

With my youngest we went through tons of hoops to get him into the special education program.  EDIS didn't think he qualified, they were wrong.  We were lucky though - the school felt like he did qualify.  It was a horrible year and a half but we finally got him an IEP.  Stick with it and don't give up!

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

Jas you are awesome. I will order the book NOW.

As for IDEA I've read though it forwards and backwards and it seems to me that the school failed her back in October by failing to screen her properly. Then again we all read thing in a light that best suits our current needs.

Quoting jas_momof2:

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:43 PM

are you choosing to medicate your child for the ADHD? have to looked for an out of school tutor for the reading delay? have you  contacted her pediatrician to see about a referral for Speech therapy? IN other words take it out of the school system and do what you can to get her the services she needs on the outside and then bring the school in.

DGS has ADHD and his first K teacher said he was very behind and they are considering keeping him back a year, I switched him schools, got him on medication got him a tutor and in 2 months has caught up and is now exceeding grade level.

I never once asked the school for anything but for the teacher to fill out the ADHD forms. He was diagnosed immediately.

if you want the school to help -- call the superintendant or the school board and file a complaint with them that at least should get the ball rolling

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:50 PM

The over diagnosis seems to be where my problem lies.... Sam isn't hyperactive, she's inattentive. The psychologist seems to think there is more. He thinks she has an eye tracking problem, because she uses her finger to point and read. He also thinks she may dyslexia/dysgraphia. My anger stems from months of being blown off. I get that she wasn't put on a 504 or an IEP. But they see that she's struggling and they refuse to help. She can't keep up with the class average. She's not far enough behind to get extra help so shes left floating in the middle with no help from her teacher, and no help from SpEd. 

Quoting jas_momof2:

That is true.  ADHD is over diagnosed where other disorders tend to mimic it.  It could be that they didn't feel that was something to look at - maybe they didn't want to...  I don't know but I've skimmed through that book and it seemed to be pretty packed with information.  The library on base had it. 

With my youngest we went through tons of hoops to get him into the special education program.  EDIS didn't think he qualified, they were wrong.  We were lucky though - the school felt like he did qualify.  It was a horrible year and a half but we finally got him an IEP.  Stick with it and don't give up

Cafe MichelleP
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:52 PM
3 moms liked this

One of the other groups that I admin is the Raising Special Needs Kids group. You should post this question there as well. The moms in that group are really friendly and very knowledable about IDEA, IEP's, and getting services or advocates for your child.

Cafe MichelleP
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Other than just the school, have you called the district diagnostician/special ed coordinator? Often times going directly to the district will get things moving.

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:04 PM

You might also try the State Office of Special Education (for whatever state you are in).  They generally have advocacy services for parents and will help you navigate and get the services you need.  Hope this helps you and Sam.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)