Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Question

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:32 PM
  • 11 Replies
I saw in an other forum someone commented about me being a reservist and that was somehow funny.

So AD spouses, do you think less of the reserves/national guard? What about the CG or air patrol? They aren't military? Or not "military enough"?

I've seen these comments before and for the most part I let the CG be since half say they are and half say they don't consider themselves military service.

Or Spouses of service members who have deployed, do you feel yours is better because he's deployed vs someone who's been in just as long and hasn't?

I see them all the same. They put their name on the line. They all matter as much. The only service members I have no respect for are the ones who malinger or females who get pregnant to get out of deploying.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:53 PM
3 moms liked this

Everyone has a job to do no matter what branch, or aspect of it, you're in.  Sure, I've made light with my friend who is in the NG that she's a part timer, but it's all in fun.  Some people take these things way too seriously.

cocoroo
by Coco on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
When my dh and I see someone that is higher ranking without a combat patch, we do wonder how they have gone so long without deploying. I know my dh thinks people who get out of deployments on purpose are shit, I happen to agree.

People that only have reserve/guard experience and have never deployed, do not know what the day to day military life is like. My dh was active 3 years, reserves 3 years, and has been active again for 7 years. It is definitley different livin. The Army day in andday out vs only on weekends and 2 weeks a summer.

I think the CG serves an important purpose, but I do not consider them military.

My dh is a douche. He is a tabbed Ranger in a Ranger Bn. They all think they are better than anyone else in any branch and the rest of the Army. They are snobs. My dh is not happy that he will be a "leg" when we move to Germany, so that is a whole different level of whose dick is bigger.
violinjewel
by Julia on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:40 PM
3 moms liked this
No, I don't see the National Guard that way per se. My husband is Guard, my dad finished his military career and retired Guard. Both served time overseas. My husband has a combat patch, and he did his job when needed. He is now working on being medically retired, for some injuries he received while deployed. I know you wanted AD spouses opinions, but I have never seen anyone in this group, or in real life look down on my husband or his ability. He has done what was requires of his contract, and more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dolcepsle
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:43 PM
I see no difference in how a person chooses to serve. My good friend is Guard and she's deployed for the next six months. You all do your duty and it should be respected regardless of being AD, G, or R.
Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Any opinions are welcome :) or I can give you the snotty answer everyone expects it me (I'll get into that later) "this is cm and people post even when it doesn't pertain to them"

I ran into a friend who's sister is on here and she told me I'm nicer in person. She read a reply or two and she did so in a bitchy voice lol I never meant it that way but seems that's how I come off here. I read her the reply as I meant it and she blamed how she imagined me sounding on my lack of commas lol

Quoting violinjewel: No, I don't see the National Guard that way per se. My husband is Guard, my dad finished his military career and retired Guard. Both served time overseas. My husband has a combat patch, and he did his job when needed. He is now working on being medically retired, for some injuries he received while deployed. I know you wanted AD spouses opinions, but I have never seen anyone in this group, or in real life look down on my husband or his ability. He has done what was requires of his contract, and more.
USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 14, 2014 at 3:49 AM

I think everyone has a role. In all honesty, I think reserves and guard have it tougher because they have a normal everyday existence until they don't. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:47 AM
2 moms liked this

Everyone has a role.  All branches of the military are just that...military.  Of course some jobs are harder than others.  Getting into a pissing match with people over who has a harder life in the military is just childish and a pointless waste of time.  I don't need to argue with anyone over what my husband does in the military.  He serves his country, works hard for our family, and that's all that matters to me.  People need to find something better to do with their time.

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:34 AM
Exactly. "Oh he joined the military to be a cop?" "It's just a desk job" "bet he's a cook".

That cop can handle our own, the desk job makes sure I get payed so when I'm down range my mind isn't on my money but on my job and the cook makes sure I don't starve.

All these pogue jobs save the military money. Why hire a cook when you can have a cook who can also drive a vehicle and shoots 40/40? (Now if the military quit spending money on civilians for some jobs and give them to soldiers, who are the underpayed version... My version of budget cuts but that's an other story)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Everyone has a role.  All branches of the military are just that...military.  Of course some jobs are harder than others.  Getting into a pissing match with people over who has a harder life in the military is just childish and a pointless waste of time.  I don't need to argue with anyone over what my husband does in the military.  He serves his country, works hard for our family, and that's all that matters to me.  People need to find something better to do with their time.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM

DH is CG and has been AD for 20 years, we have been together 18 of those years- not once in all those years have I heard of anyone in or closely connected to the CG say they ( the CG) is not Military. We are not DOD but we definetely are one of the 5 branches of the military.

As for reservists- I think of them as an important asset to our line of defense and service. I do not like reservists who think they are better than an AD member, especially those reservists who have never deloyed - whether overseas or nationally for a crisis or a disaster.

And I definitely do not like reservists who think they do 2 days a month and 14 days a year and think they deserve all the benefits of an AD member, that sense of entitlement always ticks me off.

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:59 AM
I don't know much about the national guard or the other things you mentioned. For all I know, they could deploy more often. I just have never thought that anyone was not military enough.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)