Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Enlisted to Officer?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:02 AM
  • 13 Replies
Hello, so my husband will know around sept. if he got selected for warrant officer. Just curious what the difference is or the process from going from Enlisted to officer. Any wives experience that? My husband is Marines. Thanks!
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:50 AM
My husband made the switch about 7 years ago. My dh is Navy and went LDO not Warrant so his experience may not be the same. He went to OCS in Rhode Island after he got picked up. It was a relatively short school. Honestly, beyond that, I really haven't noticed any differences other than the paychecks. I'm sure it changed things for him though.
marinemami07
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Hi, Yea the paychecks Im sure! But also Im sure for him too, work related. Where we live right now, is where he has to go to school next year. But we are moving in Aug to Ca. At work they tried to get the date pushed back bc he's being looked at & probably a very good chance at getting it. But guess with the fiscal year in Oct, that wasn't a possibily. Which stinks, bc that'll be two moves in a very short time! Be in Ca for about 4-5 months, then he'll have to come back here where we live now for school from jan-march '15. Then move again! Lol oh well, just gonna enjoy the travels! Thanks for replying!

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:21 AM
Oh wow, that's a lot of moving. We have never had to move and the switch to officer didn't change that. We're still in the same area. But now I'm remembering that he had been up for shore duty but when he for picked up, they required a sea tour. So that did change the plans that he had for his next command.
marinemami07
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Yea not really looking forward to moving twice, would be nice to just stay where we are (& even onbase housing!) let him go to school, then move us. We are in VA, so driving cross country to CA! Where we're going now, guess they need him there, as an E6, but once he becomes officer, guess with changing, they'd need him somewhere else? He said yea, so oh well. We too have never moved like this either, I cant see how with everthing the military can do, whats the harm in letting us stay here until March '15? instead of doing two moves, paying for that twice.

It is what it is! Lol

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 3:10 PM
He's making the change not you. You keep being supportive, keep dealing with the movers (and pray they don't pack the coffee pot with coffee still in it) and don't change a thing. Be you, don't change just because his job is :)
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
In the Navy, if you have an officer application being considered, you can't execute orders until the results come out? This prevents the situation you are describing with having to move a bunch of times.

Also, in the Navy, the commissioning is staggered. So when my husband got selected, he had to wait a year and 3 months before being commissioned because he was at the bottom having only been in 8 years and an E6.
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
In the Navy, you have to be an E7 to put in for warrant. I guess the different branches are so different.

Quoting marinemami07:

Yea not really looking forward to moving twice, would be nice to just stay where we are (& even onbase housing!) let him go to school, then move us. We are in VA, so driving cross country to CA! Where we're going now, guess they need him there, as an E6, but once he becomes officer, guess with changing, they'd need him somewhere else? He said yea, so oh well. We too have never moved like this either, I cant see how with everthing the military can do, whats the harm in letting us stay here until March '15? instead of doing two moves, paying for that twice.

It is what it is! Lol

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:49 PM
That question mark is supposed to be a period, lol.

Quoting SlapItHigh: In the Navy, if you have an officer application being considered, you can't execute orders until the results come out? This prevents the situation you are describing with having to move a bunch of times.

Also, in the Navy, the commissioning is staggered. So when my husband got selected, he had to wait a year and 3 months before being commissioned because he was at the bottom having only been in 8 years and an E6.
tictacmama
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Warrant is a completely different ball of wax. It depends on what field he is getting into (warrant's are more like experts in their field than leaders of troops). He will probably have a lot of schools at first and a lot of extra demand on his time (for studying and stuff). But in the end, in my opinion, Warrants are some of the best jobs in the military. Also they are some of the hardest to get.

Good Luck ! Hope your hubby gets it!

As for my background knowledge, I was Army for 9 years and my Hubby is still active Army.

marinemami07
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Thank you for all that information! I know it's a change for him b my hubby doesn't leave work at work. Lol. He vents a lot. I listen & try my best to be supportive. It's hard at times. Sounds like all the branches do things a little different. I just wanted a little insite. Thanks!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN