Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Do you have financial challenges as a military family?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:31 AM
  • 33 Replies

Hi ladies,

As a military family, have you encountered any financial challenges either when in the military, when leaving the service, or afterwards as civilians?

american flag ribbon

by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:25 AM
We have found it hard to visit family in the last two years because of how far away they are. We are in Ft Bliss and my family all lives in MA and DH's in NC. Flying is very expensive and driving takes too long. Especially with 4 children. Before this we were spoiled because we were at Ft Campbell which is a lot closer to our families than here. As far as getting out/civilian life the only concern I have is being able to provide for our four kids. But since DH is probably going to be a lifer we've got another 10 1/2 yrs before that happens and at that point they will be between 10 and 17 yrs old.
sahmw2010
by Beth on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:03 AM
We dont get ti go home because its too costly, but we live within our means and do not struggle. We are also investing so kids can go to college and we will be able to survive when he retires. Our family comes and visits us, so we still get to see them
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:20 AM

When my ex husband joined many years ago, It was hard living on a salary of 1000/mo. It took him going up to e4 and deploying for us to have some money. When he got out we were lost, didn't know what to do. It took 10 months for him to find a job. It was very difficult because the job he had in the Army even though he was trained to do it, he couldn't do it in civilain world so all those years wasted as far as getting a civi job is concerned.

SusanD
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:30 AM
No.
cocoroo
by Coco on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:25 AM
My only financial problem is my spoiled 16 year old daughter, but we just tell her 'no'. Not being able to go 'home' isn't a financial struggle. Going home is a choice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:29 AM
We do not right now and haven't so far.. My husband and I are both active duty. We live within our means and make it a point to pay ourselves along with the bills. That way, it will be easier upon retirement.
MomNCombatBoots
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:38 AM

we struggled earlier on as young mil members because, well, now we have more credit cards to pay off. sooo, learned that lesson! we also try to tell young mil men and women who are living in the dorms not to go out and buy a brand new expensive vehicle. but, do they listen, no, and a couple yrs later they move out of the dorms and go "damn my payment is so high". yeah, you have other bills now dippy! you didn't wanna listen to us ol' folk! we are mil to mil again but i did get out for a short time and yes it sucked with just the one military income. but, i missed the military so i went back. i am lucky and get to put this uniform on every day again :-) now we are mil to mil again so we are doing okay. we have one child for right now because we are paying out of pocket for her preschool until she starts kinder in the fall, so that's 500 a month. having another daycare payment with another kid right now  would suck(financially and job-wise). we have made huge headway in paying our "young dumb decision" cards and bills off. i agree that going "home" is a choice. my parents live literally on the other side of the country from where we are at, and hubby's live halfway b/w where we are and my parents. so, i get the whole no family around thing. but, i have my own family now, my home is where they are. i'd love to see my parents more. luckily my mom flies out here every few months to see her granddaughter (and us lol, but i swear it's mainly her and that's okay!).dang sorry for the novel! 

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:43 AM

No.

illogicalkat
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Nope. Not now, certainly.

When I first enlisted, I was married to my first husband, and he quit working when we moved and refused to get another job. (This is one of the reasons he was replaced with husband #2.) Anyway, we were living in base housing, no car, E-2 income, but also no debt. I know how to budget, which helped tremendously. Then-husband would get upset that we didn't have cable tv or a new car (we had bicycles, and later a beat-up pickup), but we also never had our bank account go red.

Coconutty4Hubby
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM
Haha, same here, only mine is a 3 year old boy... Military brats, I tell ya!

Quoting cocoroo: My only financial problem is my spoiled 16 year old daughter, but we just tell her 'no'. Not being able to go 'home' isn't a financial struggle. Going home is a choice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN