Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Navy "Dining Out"

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:58 AM
  • 17 Replies
Has anyone ever been to one of these? Dh has one coming up and it's mandatory so he has to go. Trying to decide if I should go with him or stay home. I really feel like I should go to be supportive but I really don't like these kinds of things. I've never been to one though so I'm hoping someone who has can chime in and tell me it's not that bad.
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:37 AM
We are Army and DH's other unit would do a dinner function (similar to what you are doing??). I liked it but I think it's because the people were fun and easy to get along with. Hope someone Navy can help :)
sahmw2010
by Beth on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Hubby is army, but they have one after every rotation here. We go and its really fun because its not formal its just the guys getting together to celebrate another rotation over. I know that ours is different then what yours will be, but you may enjoy it if you go
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Thanks for sharing! I like the idea of fun people but it's the shenanigans I'm not looking forward to.

Quoting mnkymommy08: We are Army and DH's other unit would do a dinner function (similar to what you are doing??). I liked it but I think it's because the people were fun and easy to get along with. Hope someone Navy can help :)
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:12 AM
I would go in heartbeat if it wasn't formal. But these are extremely formal. Formal almost seems like an understatement, lol.

Quoting sahmw2010: Hubby is army, but they have one after every rotation here. We go and its really fun because its not formal its just the guys getting together to celebrate another rotation over. I know that ours is different then what yours will be, but you may enjoy it if you go
RKL10
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:15 AM
I'm navy and we haven't had to go to one so I'm no help maybe just go with your gut feeling or you and your hubby could think of gestures like pulling at the ear or scratching at the head to mean something funny to make things go quicker haha
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Thanks for the tip :).

Quoting RKL10: I'm navy and we haven't had to go to one so I'm no help maybe just go with your gut feeling or you and your hubby could think of gestures like pulling at the ear or scratching at the head to mean something funny to make things go quicker haha
mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:24 AM
Yw. We leave when the shenanigans start. Usually just say the sitter was only paid for for "x" amount of time.

Quoting SlapItHigh: Thanks for sharing! I like the idea of fun people but it's the shenanigans I'm not looking forward to.

Quoting mnkymommy08: We are Army and DH's other unit would do a dinner function (similar to what you are doing??). I liked it but I think it's because the people were fun and easy to get along with. Hope someone Navy can help :)
usmclife58
by Nikki on Mar. 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I went to one with my husband (Marines, so not sure how different they are). I kind of loved it. It was better than the Ball to me. I know these guys take it VERY seriously. They close the doors, start the ceremony, and you are stuck in there. You can't leave to go to the bathroom or anything. If there is an emergency, you can *ask permission* to step out, but they can deny it. It was kind of crazy. And all the toasts... more than a sip for each and you could get a buzz ;)

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 5:33 PM
This sounds like the same thing. So glad to read that you loved it! If anyone at the table does something against protocol the. Everyone had to go to some special table and drink disgusting concoctions.

The last time dh went to one, I got out of it because I was either super pregnant or had a newborn...can't remember which. But I rembwr dh calling me from the event and one of his friends got on the phone and was clearly very drink. All those toasts!!!!

Quoting usmclife58:

I went to one with my husband (Marines, so not sure how different they are). I kind of loved it. It was better than the Ball to me. I know these guys take it VERY seriously. They close the doors, start the ceremony, and you are stuck in there. You can't leave to go to the bathroom or anything. If there is an emergency, you can *ask permission* to step out, but they can deny it. It was kind of crazy. And all the toasts... more than a sip for each and you could get a buzz ;)

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 5:33 PM
*drunk

Quoting SlapItHigh: This sounds like the same thing. So glad to read that you loved it! If anyone at the table does something against protocol the. Everyone had to go to some special table and drink disgusting concoctions.

The last time dh went to one, I got out of it because I was either super pregnant or had a newborn...can't remember which. But I rembwr dh calling me from the event and one of his friends got on the phone and was clearly very drink. All those toasts!!!!

Quoting usmclife58:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN