Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

School Groundskeeper Caught in Powerful Spontaneous Act of Patriotism

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:43 AM
  • 2 Replies

School Groundskeeper Caught in Powerful Spontaneous Act of Patriotism (VIDEO)

by Maressa Brown

If you need a boost in your faith in humanity and even the next generation, look no further! This patriotic image that has gone viral could surely do the trick. The photo, taken by a middle school teacher in Texas, depicts a school groundskeeper named Clayton Allen, Jr. putting down his tools to pay respects during the Pledge of Allegiance.

The teacher, Garrett Hartman, told FOX that he felt Allen's actions "spoke volumes for his character."

groundskeeper patriotic photo

Wow, right? And as if that wasn't enough to impress him about the groundskeeper, what he later learned about him made an even greater impression. After snapping the photo that day, Hartman and another teacher went to meet with their fellow Smith Middle School employee. Hartman elaborates:

To find out that [Allen] was 21 -- that really brought home the moment for both of us.

I'll say. I'm impressed, too! Sadly, it's not all that often that you see someone -- especially that age -- exhibit so much respect and patriotism. Allen says his parents and upbringing are to thank, explaining:

I think about what Afghanistan and different other countries go through, we gotta be thankful. The blessings we have -- each and every day we have to be thankful.

So true. What an amazing reminder -- and inspiration.

Check out Elisabeth Hasselbeck's report on the photo ...

What's your reaction to this groundskeeper's patriotic move?

Do you think Americans in general have lost a sense of patriotism?

by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:20 PM

This might be because I went to school on military bases for most of my life and so have my children, but I thought everyone at the very least stood still during the Pledge of Allegiance if it's being recited over the loud speaker and you're within ear shot. I know not everyone places their hand over their heart. But I don't think I've ever seen anyone NOT stand still respectfully while it's being said at a school.

My 8 year old dd just told me that her teacher sits at her desk and writes while the children recite it. This is also the first public school my children have attended off post. To each his/her own I guess. *shrug*

usmclife58
by Nikki on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

"powerful spontaneous act of patriotism"? Really? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN