Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Army vs CS?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

Asking for a non cm friend...

She has a cs order with her ex. Before he joined the military it was taken directly from his check every week like clock work. Now that he's joined the Army, he's being super secretive. Will they continue to take it directly from his check or does she have to fill out a BAH-Diff form? How long does it usually take to start getting cs and is it weekly or biweekly?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JMmama
by Kara on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:15 AM

I am not sure about how child support works, but the military gets paid on the 1st and the 15th, so I can't imagine it would be weekly.

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:21 AM
She needs to request another evaluation through her CS office and they will change it all amd take out his check!
mrsary
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:22 AM
It can take months from originally filing to get CS.
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:14 AM

the Ex is required to notify DFAS of the court order. if he fails to do that your friend needs to go to the enforcement agency and file a noncompliant order and change the frequency of the payment

the military pays alotments on the 1st of the month they do not generally disperse money on the the 15th and never disperse funds weekly.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Good info...good luck to your friend OP!

Quoting gunsgirl:

the Ex is required to notify DFAS of the court order. if he fails to do that your friend needs to go to the enforcement agency and file a noncompliant order and change the frequency of the payment

the military pays alotments on the 1st of the month they do not generally disperse money on the the 15th and never disperse funds weekly.

Aslen
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:26 AM

It should come from his check. All the CS office has to do is run his social (which they hsould have) through their employment database. They'll see he's military, send in the wage witholding order, and that should be it.

If he continues to not pay, or if it has been a few months, she needs to contact his CO 

sid1083
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I went through CSE in my state. They were the ones who coordinated with getting the garnishment set up. The entire CS obligation is paid on the 1st. Because it's considered an interstate case, it can take 1-2 months before garnishments start going through.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:34 PM
Quoting sid1083:

I went through CSE in my state. They were the ones who coordinated with getting the garnishment set up. The entire CS obligation is paid on the 1st. Because it's considered an interstate case, it can take 1-2 months before garnishments start going through.

How long did yours take? We are in Nj and I don't think she is ready to go two months without cs.
sid1083
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:55 PM

The order was signed in August. First payment received about Oct. 4th (doesn't come directly on the 1st to allow for "processing" by the state).

ETA: If there's a time lapse between the order effective date, and when they receive their first garnished payment, with NO monies received in the interim, the time that has passed without payment is added as arrears. 

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting sid1083:

How long did yours take? We are in Nj and I don't think she is ready to go two months without cs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN