Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Are you a USAA member?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:09 AM
  • 53 Replies
Hi ladies,
Are you a member of USAA?
Do you have stories or feedback about the company?  Have they helped your family in any way?

simple smile
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candycrush
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:11 AM

I wish!  We live on the coast and they will not insure our home due to the hurrican issues.  DH calls periodically to see if they've changed their minds.

M.I.H
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Yes and we love them. They were cheaper than Geico and at the time everyone we knew had them and had great experiences with them. They have always been incredibly helpful.
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope. Had DH call about auto insurance and their rate way WAY above my Progressive rate. I was disappointed because I thought it would be a good savings.

USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:43 AM

We have been members for awhile- 15 years or so. Slowly we are moving products away due to them being less competitive. We just moved and had one of our very worst experiences. They dropped coverage for the country we live in (which is fine, and understandable) but when we asked for our insurance report to get to the new insurer there was  a claim on it. While we were stationed elsewhere overseas someone hit me and made a claim- USAA paid it out without informing us. So now our insurance doubled here. The communication we recieved from USAA was really rude. It said 'we're sorry, but you DID know.' I was appalled after giving thousands of dollars to them for years that was the attitude we got. Alas, it is what it is. When we were statside, we didn't insure with them because Geico was cheaper. 

mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:21 AM
We have our cars insured through them and have renters insurance through them as well. When DH deploys we have the option of keeping his car fully insured but in 'storage' since it isn't going to be driven and insurance goes down from $125 to $50 a month.
illogicalkat
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I am. Their auto insurance rates weren't really competitive until I made E5/turned 28 (it was the same year, not sure which one had more bearing); before then, State Farm was cheaper for me. Renter's Insurance is dirt cheap through them.

I don't bank through them, though. Nor have I ever needed to file a claim.

myloveismyfaith
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:27 AM
We looked into them but always found cheaper rates elsewhere. I keep wondering if there's something special about them because everyone seems to use them around here for insurance/banking and I don't see it. Geico was a lot cheaper for us as as far as banking we get free baking with chase and it's everywhere.
ajdahd13
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:27 AM
We are and I love them! They're awesome.

We have our car insurance, car loan, and banking accts with them.
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes.

My experience with them has been meh. For banking they're fine, nothing to write home about, but no major complaints either. For insurance for me they suck ass. We had them and were paying $96/month for insurance then out of nowhere they jacked up our rate to $180/month I don't recall running over a nun but I must have. I called for an explanation and got told "Car insurance is more expensive in South Carolina" which would have been an okay reason except I had lived in SC for almost 2 YEARS at that point, so I called bullshit, called Allstate, switched and never looked back.

Their mortgage dept also leaves something to be desired. My sister has one mortgage through USAA, they're renting out that house now, so when they went to buy the house they live in they wanted to go through USAA. USAA refused to finance the 2nd house unless they had a signed rental agreement for the first one. Never mind that they could EASILY pay both mortgages, and who rents out their house before having one to live in? That would be stupid of epic proportions. So my sister and her husband went to a local bank who agreed that USAA was being a bunch of dipshits and financed that house for them no muss no fuss.

So my experience is meh, whatever if they don't want my business and money that's their perogative I suppose. I tried a to get a car financed through them, I have great credit, and I had been a member with them for 8 years at the time with no issues, NOPE they won't finance my car. I'm sure Nissan Finance would love to send them a thank you card, since they're getting money that USAA could have had. Ally too. I'm actually considering switching my banking over to Ally since I'm just not that impressed with USAA.

Yes I get that I'm the only one other than my sister that doesn't think they shit rainbows, and I'm fine with that.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Oh yeah, and while I had them for car insurance I needed to file a claim, and they wouldn't let me and were absolutely NO help. I ended up fixing the car myself out of pocket. So thanks for nothing there guys...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)