Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families
Hi ladies,
Are you a member of USAA?
Do you have stories or feedback about the company?  Have they helped your family in any way?

simple smile
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Replies (11-20):
violinjewel
by Julia on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:34 AM
We do have them for our vehicle insurance, and homeowner's insurance. We also have a checking and savings account with them. We've never had a problem with them, and they recently covered a $4,500 repair bill on my new car because it was eaten by squirrels-always get the comprehensive coverage, lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chrsbn
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Yes, for banking and insurance, they have been great for us.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Why all the financial questions??

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Mar. 16, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
This group is being sponsored by USAA.

Quoting jas_momof2:

violinjewel
by Julia on Mar. 16, 2014 at 11:19 AM
I thought that may be it. I've seen their ad at the top of my phone screen.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: This group is being sponsored by USAA.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Mar. 16, 2014 at 11:23 AM
2 moms liked this
We are USAA members and like others have said, we are moving our accounts away from them. As long-time, good standing customers, they couldn't give us a better auto loan rate than Wells Fargo? You would think that doing ALL of your banking - insurance - credit card - installment loans - ALL with perfect payment history would qualify someone for a competitive rate. Nope. Sorry, USAA. You lost our business.

My best friend went to USAA for a mortgage loan on a modest $150,000 home. She had a $50,000 down payment. USAA turned her down saying she needed more! She qualified EASILY with another lender.

Their TV commercials are all lip service. Unless USAA can start living up to their commitment to serve military veterans and their families, I would steer people away from them.
RoseWall
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 11:24 AM

no.

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:56 PM

We've been members since about 1996. We've always banked with them but had insurance off and on- currently on. They are once again about to get the boot and we are switching to Geico. It's an $80 difference between the two. Like someone else mentioned, our premium went up inexplicably and we too have been settled in at the same place for two years.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:28 PM

We've been members with USAA for over almost 12 years.  We have our auto and home owner's insurance (for 2 houses) through them as well as one vehicle loan.  The vehicle loan has a great interest rate and the insurance policies we have through USAA have good rates...I've checked other companies and the same coverage will cost at least $30/month more with other companies.  So, we've been pretty satisified with USAA over the years.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:33 PM

That's very common in the mortgage world.  We own 2 homes and when we were searching for our 2nd home to purchase (also looking for tenants for 1st home at the same time), we hired a mortgage lender...same lender we worked with when we purchased our first house.  We were told that in order to purchase another house (being that we already had one), we had to #1 have a lease signed by new tenants on the first house OR #2 already have 2 years of landlord experience with at least 1 year of mortgage payments in the bank for the first house.  Of course #1 is what we did since we had no landlord experience.  Now that I think about, our tenants hadn't signed their lease yet, but they signed a document stating they paid their deposit and were planning to rent the house.  The mortgage lender had no problem with that and we went about our business.  

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Yes.

My experience with them has been meh. For banking they're fine, nothing to write home about, but no major complaints either. For insurance for me they suck ass. We had them and were paying $96/month for insurance then out of nowhere they jacked up our rate to $180/month I don't recall running over a nun but I must have. I called for an explanation and got told "Car insurance is more expensive in South Carolina" which would have been an okay reason except I had lived in SC for almost 2 YEARS at that point, so I called bullshit, called Allstate, switched and never looked back.

Their mortgage dept also leaves something to be desired. My sister has one mortgage through USAA, they're renting out that house now, so when they went to buy the house they live in they wanted to go through USAA. USAA refused to finance the 2nd house unless they had a signed rental agreement for the first one. Never mind that they could EASILY pay both mortgages, and who rents out their house before having one to live in? That would be stupid of epic proportions. So my sister and her husband went to a local bank who agreed that USAA was being a bunch of dipshits and financed that house for them no muss no fuss.

So my experience is meh, whatever if they don't want my business and money that's their perogative I suppose. I tried a to get a car financed through them, I have great credit, and I had been a member with them for 8 years at the time with no issues, NOPE they won't finance my car. I'm sure Nissan Finance would love to send them a thank you card, since they're getting money that USAA could have had. Ally too. I'm actually considering switching my banking over to Ally since I'm just not that impressed with USAA.

Yes I get that I'm the only one other than my sister that doesn't think they shit rainbows, and I'm fine with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN