Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families
Hi ladies,
Are you a member of USAA?
Do you have stories or feedback about the company?  Have they helped your family in any way?

simple smile
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Replies (21-30):
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:43 PM

They were fine with giving a 2nd mortgage all along even without tennants lined up until 2 weeks before closing, then they were all JUST KIDDING you need this now or no mortgage for you. Which is shitty and annoying. If they had required it all along they should have said something in the beginning.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

That's very common in the mortgage world.  We own 2 homes and when we were searching for our 2nd home to purchase (also looking for tenants for 1st home at the same time), we hired a mortgage lender...same lender we worked with when we purchased our first house.  We were told that in order to purchase another house (being that we already had one), we had to #1 have a lease signed by new tenants on the first house OR #2 already have 2 years of landlord experience with at least 1 year of mortgage payments in the bank for the first house.  Of course #1 is what we did since we had no landlord experience.  Now that I think about, our tenants hadn't signed their lease yet, but they signed a document stating they paid their deposit and were planning to rent the house.  The mortgage lender had no problem with that and we went about our business.  

SusanD
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I see all of the USAA banners (to the right and at the top of the page)....what is the reason that CafeMom wants to know about our experiences? Is this post serving another purpose? If so, that may very well effect how or if I choose to answer questions about USAA.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Mar. 16, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Interesting. We live on the Gulf Coast. In fact, we rent a house that had been damaged in a hurricane a few years back. We currently have renters insurance through USAA, but if we intend to buy a home in the near future, we should shop for homeowners insurance elsewhere? It's probably for the best, anyway. We would probably find better rates if we shop around.

Quoting candycrush:

I wish!  We live on the coast and they will not insure our home due to the hurrican issues.  DH calls periodically to see if they've changed their minds.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM

We are!!  I love USAA!!  Great car insurance rates and they gave my husband a loan for a car when he had no established credit! Now we can drive safe and legally.  My husband is not military.  His parents are but he's had USAA and never made a late payment since he was 16 so 14 years.  

Izsarejman
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 2:08 PM
It's hit or miss. When I lost my wallet while walking and lost my wedding and engagement ring because I put them in there due to my fingers swelling, we filed a claim and got all the money back. When my husband broke a window mowing the lawn, they reimbursed us the replacement cost. He refinanced his vehicle without problem except for putting them as a lienholder on the title but I think it was the state. He got in a bad accident and they covered the 21k in repairs. Why they didn't junk it, I'll never know but now he can't sell it because it has a history. They were cheaper than progressive or State Farm. I guess I have no complaints.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 16, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Oh I see.  Yes, that is crappy and a horrible way to do business.  They went back on their word, and that's totally not cool.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

They were fine with giving a 2nd mortgage all along even without tennants lined up until 2 weeks before closing, then they were all JUST KIDDING you need this now or no mortgage for you. Which is shitty and annoying. If they had required it all along they should have said something in the beginning.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

That's very common in the mortgage world.  We own 2 homes and when we were searching for our 2nd home to purchase (also looking for tenants for 1st home at the same time), we hired a mortgage lender...same lender we worked with when we purchased our first house.  We were told that in order to purchase another house (being that we already had one), we had to #1 have a lease signed by new tenants on the first house OR #2 already have 2 years of landlord experience with at least 1 year of mortgage payments in the bank for the first house.  Of course #1 is what we did since we had no landlord experience.  Now that I think about, our tenants hadn't signed their lease yet, but they signed a document stating they paid their deposit and were planning to rent the house.  The mortgage lender had no problem with that and we went about our business.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 16, 2014 at 2:15 PM

USAA is well known for their high rates for homeowners insurance.  

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: Interesting. We live on the Gulf Coast. In fact, we rent a house that had been damaged in a hurricane a few years back. We currently have renters insurance through USAA, but if we intend to buy a home in the near future, we should shop for homeowners insurance elsewhere? It's probably for the best, anyway. We would probably find better rates if we shop around.
Quoting candycrush:

I wish!  We live on the coast and they will not insure our home due to the hurrican issues.  DH calls periodically to see if they've changed their minds.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Mar. 16, 2014 at 2:18 PM
They are our car insurance. Never had issues. Never really needed anything more then the newest insurance paper sent to me because hubby forgot to give me the login info for that acct before deploying. So called and told them and they mailed it
USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 16, 2014 at 2:19 PM

When I worked there they didn't even cover some coastal areas (including coastal TX) because of hurricanes. 

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: Interesting. We live on the Gulf Coast. In fact, we rent a house that had been damaged in a hurricane a few years back. We currently have renters insurance through USAA, but if we intend to buy a home in the near future, we should shop for homeowners insurance elsewhere? It's probably for the best, anyway. We would probably find better rates if we shop around.
Quoting candycrush:

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Mar. 16, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Ah, corporate sponsorship...  It's still weird.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: This group is being sponsored by USAA.
Quoting jas_momof2:

Why all the financial questions??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN