Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Is your family complete?

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday was my sisters 36th birhtday. At  dinner she announced that my BIL and her were going to begin the adoption process. They have 3 children. Two teenagers and an 8 year old. Needless to say, it came as a bit of a shock to the rest of the family, as she has never indicated that she wanted to adopt.

After her youngest was born, they believed their family was complete and took permanent birth control measures. Now 8 years later, they are finding that they want another child. She says that they have been discussing and researching adoption for the last couple of years and would like to adopt a child around elementary school age. I am really excited for them as they start this new journey in life.

After dinner my DH and I were talking about it, he asked if I ever thought about having another child. I told him that when our son was born almost 10 years ago, I was worried about the significant age gap between my older children and the baby, and wondered if perhaps it was selfish to have him essentially grow up alone without a sibling closer to his own age. Needless to say, I got over it pretty quickly. I knew in my heart after he was born that our family was complete, it just took a little bit for my head to realize it too. 

Is your family complete? Do you ever find yourself wanting to have another child? Are you going to have or adopt another child?

by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Replies (21-30):
erin708
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:46 PM
I tried for a second couple but had two miscarriages. My dh wanted one more way before I realized I wanted one. She will be two in may.

Quoting Reina13:

You were a surrogate? What an incredible gift you gave someone.

Did you start feeling the need for another child after the surrogacy?

Quoting erin708: No. I thought we were. I have two dds, almost 8 and 4 1/2. I was a surrogate and she's almost 2yo. All of a sudden a few months ago we decided we want one more. Hoping for a boy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations!!!!

Quoting violinjewel: Haha! Funny this question gets asked now, lol. I was going to make a post about this. We thought we were complete, but I guess God has different plans. Anyways, we will be complete in November as a family of five instead. No one say anything on Facebook, as I haven't told a whole lot of people yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Absolutely. We've always wanted a boy and girl and that's what we have.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

CONGRATS!!!!

Quoting violinjewel: Haha! Funny this question gets asked now, lol. I was going to make a post about this. We thought we were complete, but I guess God has different plans. Anyways, we will be complete in November as a family of five instead. No one say anything on Facebook, as I haven't told a whole lot of people yet.

Photobucket

usmclife58
by Nikki on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

We would like one more. I wouldn't mind 2 more, but my husband only wanted 2, so our compromise was 3.

Michaelsmom0522
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:57 PM
No it's not complete. I have one son, he's almost two. My husband doesn't have any biological children and I'd like to have a couple more.
JMmama
by Kara on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:52 PM
We had our 5th baby in August. Our family is complete.
asaffell
by Ashley on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Our baby is 9 months old and I'm done. It isn't a completion feeling, it's an "I'll lose my damn mind if I do this again."

Oddy_Knocky
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 4:45 PM
No, I don't feel that it's complete..neither of us do. It is what it is.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Yay!!!  Congrats!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN