Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

New Army Uniform Guidelines Limit Tattoos

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM
  • 9 Replies

Thoughts?

New Army Uniform Guidelines Limit Tattoos

Tacoma News Tribune | Mar 21, 2014 |

Troops with extensive, visible tattoos will be able to stay in the Army under a new uniform policy about to take effect, but they won't be able to get new ones and they face restrictions on their career advancement.

The new rules were leaked online Thursday in the form of a 57-page PowerPoint presentation dated March 19. Secretary of the Army John McHugh signed an order adopting them earlier this month, according to Army Times.

The rules, Army Regulation 670-1, cover everything from the ways troops must present their medals on their uniforms to how female soldiers can wear their hair during physical training. For the first time, the new policy allows female soldiers to wear ponytails during exercise.

Changes to Army tattoo policies drew the most attention last year when senior leaders were debating the regulation because body art grew in popularity among soldiers during the recent wars.

The new tattoo rules:

-- Forbid tattoos on the head, face, neck, hands, fingers and wrists.

-- Allow no more than four hand-size tattoos below the elbow and knee.

-- Prohibit sleeve tattoos that cover a person's entire arm.

-- Ban sexist, racist, indecent or extremist tattoos.

-- Bar enlisted soldiers from requesting commissions as officers if they have tattoos that violate the new policies.

-- Require commanders to document any tattoos that violate the new rules among current soldiers.

-- Order commanders to check their soldiers for new tattoos every year

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/03/21/new-army-uniform-guidelines-limit-tattoos.html?ESRC=todayinmil.sm

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sahmw2010
by Beth on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Ok that last one i think is stupid! If the new tattoo is well hidden while in uniform, then who cares!
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes but..... if people are getting certain types of tattoos.... say gang ones etc... that are hidden... doesn't it make sense to check?  

Quoting sahmw2010: Ok that last one i think is stupid! If the new tattoo is well hidden while in uniform, then who cares!

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Mar. 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

The banning enlisted soliders commissioning based on tattoos that are grandfathered in.... is lame

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:56 PM

So up until now people in the Army could have racist offensive tattoos on their head, neck, and hands?

Weird... 

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with all of them. I think anyone with neck and hand tattoos should remove them on their own dime or get out
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Mar. 21, 2014 at 1:00 PM

I'm surprised they were allowed to enlist with them in the first place.  But my husband is in the Marines and their tattoo policy has always been a bit more strict.

Quoting Elle.tea.22: I agree with all of them. I think anyone with neck and hand tattoos should remove them on their own dime or get out

cookiemaker90
by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 1:02 PM
I totally agree. But some are a little on the ridiculous side in my opinion.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Mar. 21, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Good

sahmw2010
by Beth on Mar. 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM

honestly, didnt think about that. I was thinking along the lines how an earlier article says that some were up to the CO decision and thinking of the next tattoo my husband wants to get. I could see someone maybe being an ass and saying it promotes violence.. all it is is 2 lion cubs fighting a scorpion.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Yes but..... if people are getting certain types of tattoos.... say gang ones etc... that are hidden... doesn't it make sense to check?  

Quoting sahmw2010: Ok that last one i think is stupid! If the new tattoo is well hidden while in uniform, then who cares!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN