Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Alert the chain of command

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 9:42 AM
  • 27 Replies
I got a speeding ticket on base yesterday. I was going 35 in a 25, which I know sounds bad, but in my defense on the road where I was the speed limit changed from 25 to 35 in about 30 feet. I thought it had already changed. It hadn't. Now I know and won't make that mistake again. At any rate, no fine or anything, just 4pts on my name for base records and if I get 12 in a year they take my driving privledges. Since this is the first speeding ticket I have gotten in the 10 years my husband has been active duty and the main problem was I was misinformed about where the limit changes, I think I'll be fine.

However, the cop said to make sure I told my husband because he needed to inform his chain of command. Well, my husband doesn't have a chain of command here. He is on a short tour remote and his entire chain of command is in the Middle East. I seriously doubt they care.

At any rate, my question is do chain of commands really care about spouse speeding tickets? DH's chain of command is kind of a weird situation anyway even if he were attached here but if he was in a normal career field his command would care about dependent speeding tickets? I mean, if an active duty member was careening all over the place causing problems I can see a command talking to the active duty member but it just surprised me that any and all tickets had to be reported to the chain of command.
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Well, I've had several (not super proud of it, it's just a fact) and no one cared. I'm with you- I'm pretty sure his CoC could care less.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Mar. 22, 2014 at 11:15 AM

No one really "cares", however, it does need to be reported.  They don't like to be blindsided by even the smallest, insignificant thing.  If there is a paper trail, he needs to tell them.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 22, 2014 at 11:29 AM
3 moms liked this

LOL your profile pic goes great with this post! In my experience, no they don't care.

24clark
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't know about this. Hmmmm.....

BTW, I agree with MrsDavidB25, your profile pic is perfect for this post. Made me laugh!

sahmw2010
by Beth on Mar. 22, 2014 at 11:54 AM
We had an issue with a wife who was getting tons of speeding tickets. Lost post driving privaliges and COC got in and FRG was asked who would mind driving her aroubd to appointments because otherwise he would have to take time off. I think thats why they get involved. But thats my guess.
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Mar. 22, 2014 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not that they CARE, they just need to know. It's a duly noted type of deal.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I know I told my husband I got flashed and he did tell his squad leader. 

usmclife58
by Nikki on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

They always inform my husband's command on their own. I always let my husband know to expect it, but nothing has ever been said.

JMmama
by Kara on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:30 PM
I see. I did tell him and what he does with the information is up to him I suppose. I didn't think about it from a paper trail perspective.

Quoting jas_momof2:

No one really "cares", however, it does need to be reported.  They don't like to be blindsided by even the smallest, insignificant thing.  If there is a paper trail, he needs to tell them.

JMmama
by Kara on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:31 PM
OMG. How embarrassing!

Quoting sahmw2010: We had an issue with a wife who was getting tons of speeding tickets. Lost post driving privaliges and COC got in and FRG was asked who would mind driving her aroubd to appointments because otherwise he would have to take time off. I think thats why they get involved. But thats my guess.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN