Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Dear Ms. Vicki

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

Dear Ms. Vicki,

I met a soldier online. He was in Africa at the time. We have been communicating for one year now.

He went from Africa to Malaysia, from there back to the States. We talked through Facebook. We've really become close. As a matter of fact, I love him. I truly believe he loves me. 

I've seen pictures of him with his name showing on his uniform. He has pictures of me. I even have pictures of his son. He's supposed to be ready to retire.  

But he owes money to other soldiers. He says that he can't leave service until he pays that debt off. He's got all of his paperwork; they just won't let him go anywhere until he pays that debt back to his soldiers. 

Also, he claims that he has no access to his bank account. I know he's being paid monthly. Throughout the year, I have assisted him with his finances.

I just have this strong feeling that he's not telling me everything. He says he's in Fort Drum, N.Y., at the present time. I even tried to find him through the worldwide Army locator. I needed his Social Security number, which he would not give me.  

We're planning to be married as soon as I pay off his debts. He says the Army will buy his ticket. I believe him, but some things just don't add up. 

Sincerely,
Fiancé I Have Never Met

This can't be real right? No one is this gullible. I mean, really? Lol. Have you known anyone to fall for such a scam?

I went on to read some of the comments on the page and found a link to false documents people actually believe to be legitimate. Forms like this one:

A money back guarantee!! Now this is so obviously fake. Women are falling for it. surprised

And a link to more:

http://www.cid.army.mil/romance_scam_examples.html

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:58 PM

People are very gullible, why do you think this scam has been around for so long?  It's because it works.  Women who have low self esteem are prime targets for this type of predator.  It's sad.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:34 PM
We've actually had the same stories here in this group!
violinjewel
by Julia on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Quoting jas_momof2:

People are very gullible, why do you think this scam has been around for so long?  It's because it works.  Women who have low self esteem are prime targets for this type of predator.  It's sad.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Low self esteem. I suppose that would have to be a must for the scam to work. That is sad.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Whaaa? Poor things. surprise mini

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: We've actually had the same stories here in this group!

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Mar. 22, 2014 at 9:46 PM
5 moms liked this
Maybe I'm a big ol' meanie head, but I don't feel bad for someone stupid enough to get catfished. The weird thing is that when those posts show up here, the OP doesn't believe she's being scammed. There's just no helping some people. Now that I think about it, none of those OPs ever came back to update, either.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: We've actually had the same stories here in this group!

sahmw2010
by Beth on Mar. 22, 2014 at 9:57 PM
Actually i just had to tell someone that their "love" wa scamming them. But i got shot down with "you dont know him like i do" in the end i finally told her not to come crying to me when shes broke an hes "moved on"
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM

You're not a meanie. :)

In this case, it's so obvious that you can't help but shake your head. He can't retire until he pays his personal debts to other soldiers? He doesn't have access to his bank accounts? Wow.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: Maybe I'm a big ol' meanie head, but I don't feel bad for someone stupid enough to get catfished. The weird thing is that when those posts show up here, the OP doesn't believe she's being scammed. There's just no helping some people. Now that I think about it, none of those OPs ever came back to update, either.
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Online romance? How much money has she given out??

Quoting sahmw2010: Actually i just had to tell someone that their "love" wa scamming them. But i got shot down with "you dont know him like i do" in the end i finally told her not to come crying to me when shes broke an hes "moved on"

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM
It the situation was true, it wouldn't be someone I would want to be with lol eliminate the military as a factor. Any guy who has that much debt to the point he's a slave,what kind of life am I hoping to start with him? Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

You're not a meanie. :)

In this case, it's so obvious that you can't help but shake your head. He can't retire until he pays his personal debts to other soldiers? He doesn't have access to his bank accounts? Wow.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: Maybe I'm a big ol' meanie head, but I don't feel bad for someone stupid enough to get catfished. The weird thing is that when those posts show up here, the OP doesn't believe she's being scammed. There's just no helping some people. Now that I think about it, none of those OPs ever came back to update, either.
Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN