Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

War Hero Amputee Humiliated to Tears by Rude Amusement Park Staff

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM
  • 29 Replies

War Hero Amputee Humiliated to Tears by Rude Amusement Park Staff (VIDEO)

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

sgt. stephen jackelSgt. Stephen Jackel just wanted to enjoy a fun day with his teenage daughter at a Six Flags in Texas. The veteran, who lost his legs in 2011 while serving in Afghanistan, was about to board a rollercoaster called Boomerang with his 14-year-old when he was abruptly stopped by park employees. Jackel was told that "without one fully functioning" leg he was unable to participate on many of the rides. And, at first, when Jackel asked for a refund, they told him no.

Making this whole horrible situation all the worse? The employees at Six Flags made Jackel, a war hero, break down and cry in front of his young daughter. Seriously?

"My daughter was there throughout the whole time, and it got so frustrating that I broke down in front of my daughter and cried," Jackel said after arguing with park management for more than three hours

According to Jackel, he made park employees aware of his disability before entering and was never told that he wouldn't be able to go on the rides. After being told he couldn't go on the rollercoasters, he was refused a refund, and instead offered replacement tickets (um, what?). Since the incident, Six Flags has refunded Jackel's money and issued the following (half-hearted) apology: "We truly appreciate Sgt. Jackel’s service to our country. We were disappointed to learn our accessibility policy was not properly communicated and we hope he and his family will accept our refund and invitation to visit the park again."

Jackel's reponse? "My family and I will never go to Six Flags again."

It's understandable that customer safety would be the number one priority of Six Flags, but bottom line: This situation was handled incredibly poorly and disrespectfully. It wasn't communicated properly to Jackel that he wouldn't be able to use the rides when he first entered, and not offering a refund? Wow. Way to class it up, Six Flags.

And Sgt. Jackel? Thanks for your service.

Video Here

Do you think Six Flags handled this properly?

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:34 AM
I think it's disgusting how he was treated but then I think he was childish with his final response. They refunded him and gave him complimentary tickets and apologized. I think Six Flags more than made up for it. I think that little shit who declined him the ride was trying to protect his job. You ever seen the women on the Disney forums? They bash moms who ask for taller shoes so their kids can ride a ride.
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:47 AM
6 moms liked this

The situation was not handled well, I'm glad they eventually gave him a refund, but they should have done it without question in the first place. That manager should be fired.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:58 AM
4 moms liked this

Really?  Is he supposed to roll over and accept this half hearted crap and say everything is roses?  Screw that.  I wouldn't be back and I sincerely doubt you would either if this happened to you.

Quoting Anonymous: I think it's disgusting how he was treated but then I think he was childish with his final response. They refunded him and gave him complimentary tickets and apologized. I think Six Flags more than made up for it. I think that little shit who declined him the ride was trying to protect his job. You ever seen the women on the Disney forums? They bash moms who ask for taller shoes so their kids can ride a ride.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Really? Businesses have lost me as a customer for FAR less, he wasn't being childish, if Six Flags was so interested in keeping his business maybe they should have acted professionally in the first place. You don't argue with a customer for 3 hours  or to the point that they cry, especially not both.

Quoting Anonymous: I think it's disgusting how he was treated but then I think he was childish with his final response. They refunded him and gave him complimentary tickets and apologized. I think Six Flags more than made up for it. I think that little shit who declined him the ride was trying to protect his job. You ever seen the women on the Disney forums? They bash moms who ask for taller shoes so their kids can ride a ride.

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:03 PM
They handled this terribly. Absolutely crazy that they would. It have immediately offered a refund!
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:05 PM
2 moms liked this
What? How is giving him a refund way later "more than" making up for it. He should have been given the refund and apology at the time of the incident. And complimentary tickets do no good when you aren't allowed to ride any of the rides.

violinjewel
by Julia on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:26 PM
When I worked in customer service, we offered discounts and refunds for far less then how this man and his family were treated. This is awful, and he has every right to his feelings and response.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myloveismyfaith
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Wow. I understand their position of him not riding the rides, but they should have made it clear from the beginning. Employees should be well versed on safety conflicts, if they had trained their staff right there wouldn't be such a problem. Also, when its clearly our staffs miscommunication why not just offer a refund. A huge park like that could afford it and this was an extenuating circumstance. It's sad when compassion comes second to lining your own pockets.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 24, 2014 at 1:02 PM
He's not allowed to ride the rides? I could have sworn he was allowed to after their press release of this? I guess I should go back and reread.
Do they let petiole with one leg ride? If yes then why not someone with two missing legs? To me it makes no sense, but I don't own Six Flags so if it is a safety concern, what can they do?

Quoting SlapItHigh: What? How is giving him a refund way later "more than" making up for it. He should have been given the refund and apology at the time of the incident. And complimentary tickets do no good when you aren't allowed to ride any of the rides.

AtillaTheHun
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 1:10 PM
This.

Not only the manager should be fired. Everyone who had a part in humiliating this man should have to go, too. What a bunch of disrespectful assholes.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

The situation was not handled well, I'm glad they eventually gave him a refund, but they should have done it without question in the first place. That manager should be fired.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)