Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Should we even be spending this money?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:07 AM
  • 70 Replies

My dh and I discussing whether or not the US military should be spending 4 million dollars to help locate the missing Malaysia Airliner.

It seems to me that with all the budget cuts happening, 4 million dollars could be better spent than to help find a missing plane.

Maybe I am just being selfish and insensitive but I don't see how this is our problem. My dh does not agree with me.

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
If we all collectively had a knowledge or better grasp on what the price tag on everything really is then we could morally decide what's worth our time and money. I have news, that kind of transparency is never going to happen so speculation is just going to continue to be a spectators sport.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM
12 moms liked this

ok, Maybe I am in a bitchy mood- but for christs sakes it is not "just" a plane, but the bodies of 230 people.

maybe to you 4 million dollars seems like a lot but let me tell you having your loved ones body is priceless.

Imagine if your DH or your son or daughter was one of the souls on that plane What would you want done?

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:26 AM

It is now up to 4 million? Last account I heard was 2.5 million.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I was annoyed about it as well. I also don't see it as a US problem.

USAFamily
by Melissa on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:33 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree with gunsgirl. 

In addition, when 290 bodies just disappear- literally *poof* I think it's in everyones best interest to figure out what happened and why.

Edited to correct body count* 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:37 AM
But it's not a US airlines. Obummer is cutting military, less pay raises, less benefits, trying to cut retirement, etc. But can spend all the US money on other countries.

Quoting gunsgirl:

ok, Maybe I am in a bitchy mood- but for christs sakes it is not "just" a plane, but the bodies of 230 people.

maybe to you 4 million dollars seems like a lot but let me tell you having your loved ones body is priceless.

Imagine if your DH or your son or daughter was one of the souls on that plane What would you want done?

Reina13
by Reina on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:41 AM

It may still be that amount, my dh was telling me that he read that upwards of 4 million was budgeted for it. I don't know if that amount has been reached yet or if they will even disclose whether it was or wasn't.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

It is now up to 4 million? Last account I heard was 2.5 million.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I agree with gunsgirl.

Reina13
by Reina on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I understand what you are saying however there are multiple agencies the world over searching as well. I still don't feel that the US military has the budget for this when they are making so many vital cuts else where that effect military personal and their families. 

Quoting gunsgirl:

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:44 AM
3 moms liked this

Most of the passengers were Chinese. We need China's support in the UN because they have a vote on the Security council. Volunteering our help in this situation gets us some goodwill when we need their support for votes on sanctions, etc in the UN. Basically we are investing our money to buy votes/support in any later issues. The whole I helped you, now you help me bargin.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)