Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Being away.

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:42 PM
  • 15 Replies

At what age did your kids start to be affected by your hubby being either deployed or away all the time?  My daughter is 3 and it doesn't seem to phase her that daddy is gone a lot.  Is it because she's only 3 or just her personality. 

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:52 PM

It hasn't ever really phased my children that much.  My oldest dd was 2 1/2 when he went to basic.  I had my youngest son when he was in AIT.  I had our you gets daughter when he was in Korea.  He isn't my oldest son's father, so they were never super close when my son was younger.  It really hasn't affected them.  They miss him when he is gone, but it is all they have known their entire lives.  The kids are 19, 16, 13, and 11 now.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM

it never really effected the kids that much. they knew daddy had to leave to go to work and that daddy would come home.

both of my kids did this when there were no cell phones, no internet no skype.

kids have it easy compared to then.

Mmackay
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Ok so it's "normal" lol

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Normal is subjective.

If she's well adjusted I wouldn't worry about it. Its the military child's world, Dad/Mom is gone a lot, its their reality. My kids were never phased by it.

Quoting Mmackay:

Ok so it's "normal" lol

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:29 PM

My youngest was 1 and dh was gone for most of his second year.  It took several years for him to adjust to daddy being home.

3Rasberries
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:12 PM

My oldest is very sensitive, but she didn't start showing how much it bothered her till she was about 5. I put her in counseling to help her with her emotions. She is doing much better now. My middle child will miss him, but not like the oldest. The little one hasn't had to be without him for more than 5 months, but she was a baby then. They are now 8, 7, and 3 and he will be spending a year in Korea. It will be interesting to see. I feel like my 8 year old has matured a lot, but the 3 year old is super close to my husband.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:28 PM

My son doesn't seem to care one way or the other.  Probably will change with time though.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:31 PM
My kids just accept it as part of daddy's job. They like to leave him notes/pictures before they go to bed. The blow kisses up into the sky and hugs too.
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 7:48 AM

My son is 4 and he accepts that he works or is away a lot. He is just starting to complain a little or ask WHY daddy is always working so much or expressing sadness/frustration that he is not with us. That just started this month though, before that he thought it was completely normal that daddy was gone all the time or working.

gatorswife1401
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:14 AM
With mine they handled the leaving part quite well, its when he got home they wouldnt let him leave the house without going with him
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)