• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The worst part about moving

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM
  • 19 Replies

Is learning the new area site unseen. So the Korea gig is out the window :-/ DH was offered the position, but the CO was informed that the division CO had already filled the slot with his own nominee. Eehh what ever, we're still good. So now we're going to Leavenworth, and since ILE starts every June/July that's when all houses come available and rent. I called a property manager today to get some information and he let me know that most people rent site unseen. O.o seriously? This process gives me the hives just thinking about it. I like to see the neighboring houses, drive around and know where I'm going to live before leasing a house..... We have some friends there already, and they put in for 9 houses over the course of 48 hours they were literally coming up and going with in hours. 

Hives, I tell ya, hives! 

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TAG9lbs
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Yikes. Never know expect the worst u might get the best.
mom2jessnky
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:57 PM

I wouldn't like that at all. That sort of happened to us when we moved here. We got our address for our house on base. On the housing website the floor plan is clearly for a 1 story, but DH walked to our address and house is clearly a 2 story... so wrong floor plan. Couldn't get any pictures of the place on the inside, floorplan was wrong, we were flying blind.

Also the school info on the website was wrong, that was fun. LOL.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I don't do well not know what the place/area is like first either.

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this
We have done it once and thankfully everything worked out. I just used Google Earth alot to get an idea of what the area looked like. I also only looked at homes that had alot of pics from the inside.
.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

The school is the big issue for me....  Every parent wants their kids in the best school they can get it to. But now not only am I comparing schools I'm already limited to the houses we can look at. We have three kids ( hoping to expand our family ) and a dangerous ferocious dog (not) so that limits me again :P

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I wouldn't like that at all. That sort of happened to us when we moved here. We got our address for our house on base. On the housing website the floor plan is clearly for a 1 story, but DH walked to our address and house is clearly a 2 story... so wrong floor plan. Couldn't get any pictures of the place on the inside, floorplan was wrong, we were flying blind.

dalbax2
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:31 PM
I would not like sight unseen. Too many problems.
Mmackay
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:33 PM

We lucked out with housing last time and this time, we are due for disappointment. 

mom2jessnky
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Luckily the school thing wasn't a big deal. But they said my kid was zoned for one elementary school but that's only true for 3 streets in housing, everyone else goes to the other school. They're both good schools so it wasn't a big deal, and since I've heard some horror stories about the Principal at the other school I think I dodged a bullet!

The middle school & high school info were correct so that's good.

Breed restrictions really annoy the piss out of me. What they SHOULD do is prohibit/evict bad dogs and bad owners, not broad brush an entire breed as bad based on a couple shitheads. I haven't met a mean pit bull, or dobie, or rott yet. I HAVE met a mean ass chow chow, and a mean as fuck Boston Terrier though. Only dog that has ever bit me was a boston...

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

The school is the big issue for me....  Every parent wants their kids in the best school they can get it to. But now not only am I comparing schools I'm already limited to the houses we can look at. We have three kids ( hoping to expand our family ) and a dangerous ferocious dog (not) so that limits me again :P

Quoting mom2jessnky:

cocoroo
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:43 PM

We have rented site unseen twice, luckily it worked out both times.  I wouldn't do it again without knowing the area.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Rentals are like that here in San Antonio too. It is bananas! I couldn't believe how fast rentals flip here. I don't like the sight unseen either. Our last rental was crap-tastic in NM I was SO happy to drive away from that place. Good luck, moving is always a bit chaotic and stressful in the planning stages at least...I think I do better once the wheels are in motion and the boxes are packed...well maybe once the boxes are UNpacked ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)