Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Guns on base

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:28 PM
  • 35 Replies

In another CM group, it is being said guns are completely banned on base. The BX on my son's base actually sells guns and ammo. I also thought only certain firearms were banned on base, can anyone offer any insight? This topic sprung up after the Ft Hood shooting. Thanks ladies, I figured you all would know more than if I called the actual base lol.

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Guns are not banned on bases.  The PX at JBLM sells guns and ammo.  I had a friend that always carried, and she told me she wasn't supposed to on post, but I'm not sure what the rules are.

lizzielouaf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM

The BX on Buckley sells guns, ammo and crossbows. It doesn't make sense to sell them ON base but not be allowed to have them on base...

Quoting cocoroo:

Guns are not banned on bases.  The PX at JBLM sells guns and ammo.  I had a friend that always carried, and she told me she wasn't supposed to on post, but I'm not sure what the rules are.

cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/04/02/here-are-the-rules-on-carrying-firearms-on-fort-hood/

I don't know how to make it clicky .

sweetsouthrnMom
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

As far as I know, the PX sells both guns and ammo at our Post, and others that we have been at sold as well. Regarding the rules, what my Husband was told through an MP ( gun chit chat ) that you are allowed to have firearms at your home, even if that is on post housing, or the on/off post housing...however you are suppose to register those firearms with the MP's and they will hold your firearms for one week while they clear them, before returning them to you. However, I believe you can also elect to keep your personal firearms on post in your local arms room. But you are allowed to own and buy/sell/trade firearms.

**However that is just the rules we were told on our specific Post- NOT Fort Hood, and it may vary location to location or branch to branch. Also, I have no idea concerning carrying, I don't believe that is allowed.**

lizzielouaf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:43 PM

It's hard to actually get a direct answer. I was gonna call Buckley info center then decided that probably wouldn't be wise lol

Quoting sweetsouthrnMom:

As far as I know, the PX sells both guns and ammo at our Post, and others that we have been at sold as well. Regarding the rules, what my Husband was told through an MP ( gun chit chat ) that you are allowed to have firearms at your home, even if that is on post housing, or the on/off post housing...however you are suppose to register those firearms with the MP's and they will hold your firearms for one week while they clear them, before returning them to you. However, I believe you can also elect to keep your personal firearms on post in your local arms room. But you are allowed to own and buy/sell/trade firearms.

**However that is just the rules we were told on our specific Post- NOT Fort Hood, and it may vary location to location or branch to branch. Also, I have no idea concerning carrying, I don't believe that is allowed.**

sweetsouthrnMom
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I am about 99% sure that the MP's will know all the rules and regulations.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

It's hard to actually get a direct answer. I was gonna call Buckley info center then decided that probably wouldn't be wise lol

Quoting sweetsouthrnMom:

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:03 PM

HERE you have to "register" them if you live in housing so the MP's know you have them.  I think it was Lakenheath (I could be wrong) where you could not have them in housing at all. 

mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:08 PM
Here at Bliss you can own guns and keep them in your home on post. DH and I have our carry conceal permit and are not allowed to carry on post. The PX here also carries guns and ammo as well. If we bring any of our firearms on post we have to tell them at the gate that we have them, they cannot be loaded, the ammo and guns must be separate from each other and they have to be in the trunk of our vehicle. We must also have paperwork proving they are A) registered to us and B) registered on post.
TAG9lbs
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:18 PM
I know for sure after an "incident" "disagreement" between co-workers. San Diego naval bases do not allow guns on base the marine base has housing and allows registered guns and if u carry in the car u need to show ur permit when driving on for the sat shooting event they sometimes have.

Through word of mouth I am under the impression Norfolk naval bases are the same. I am also 100% certain that certain jobs in the navy are banned from having guns without a "Full Psych Eval".
lizzielouaf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Ya I think Buckley you have to register within 24 hours of getting a gun.

Quoting jas_momof2:

HERE you have to "register" them if you live in housing so the MP's know you have them.  I think it was Lakenheath (I could be wrong) where you could not have them in housing at all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)