Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Go Fund Me... (not asking for money)

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:21 PM
  • 48 Replies

If you're not familiar with the site, it's a donation site that you can set up for whatever reason and strangers give you money.  I've seen them set up for deaths in the family, accidents, terminal illnesses, community gardens, playground equipment, start up business costs - etc...

I was clicking through the site and came across someone in the military who was asking for money to have his 20 year retirement ceremony.  According to what he posted, he didn't want a $20 Shadow box  (I know they're not cheap, but I have never seen one for $20) nor did he want it held in the "break room".

The way it was worded kinda struck a chord with me.  Oh he was playing up the whole how great he was at his job, how he gave 20 years to his country and felt he deserved better than this or that, how he missed out on birthdays and holidays and even posted a breakdown of what he wanted to buy.  He wanted over $1000 and (I felt) kinda played the whole, "I'm a hero so I am entitled" card.

It left a sour note. 

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM
4 moms liked this

Military members also flood the wish upon a hero site with their sad stories of how they cannot afford food, or want plane tickets, or gifts. It is quite the scene.  Back to Go fund me-our graduating class has one up now for a fellow classmate that died while giving birth to her 2nd child last week. The fund is for her husband and 2 daughters she left behind. Truly terrible. That is what the site should be for.

kaybayblee3
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Wow, retirement ceremonies/parties are thrown by their unit. not by the person who is leaving/retiring SMH. That guy sounds like he just wants some money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Yuck! Just reading about it rubs me the wrong way too. What an attitude.

Link please. I'm nosy. Lol.

cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM
3 moms liked this

I think those sites are ridiculous.  My friend posted one of her friend's thing on FB.  The people were trying to raise money to sell their house, so the wife and kids could be "reunited with their father" at the new duty station.  Ummmm, rent the house our?  No one told you to buy a house while you were in the military.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:42 PM
2 moms liked this

What a douche! I guess some people are a big deal in their own minds.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
A lot of the things in that site rub me the wrong way. That guy sounds like a super douche though.
lizzielouaf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:07 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm gonna do one for a boob lift.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Not entirely (at least in the AF)...  I think they're giving dh $50...

Quoting kaybayblee3:

Wow, retirement ceremonies/parties are thrown by their unit. not by the person who is leaving/retiring SMH. That guy sounds like he just wants some money.

MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM
Wow, he's crazy.

That reminds me of the women on the buy/sell/trade base page here asking for formula because wic doesn't give them enough.. Lol I'm like, seriously?!
kaybayblee3
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:24 PM

I'm in the Air force and they usually just ask for donations from everyone. Like 1-2 dollars or whatever they want. Then the officers usually pitch in the rest. Obviously officers get better than us enlisted lol.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Not entirely (at least in the AF)...  I think they're giving dh $50...

Quoting kaybayblee3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN