Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Are the new regs discriminatory?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:30 AM
  • 102 Replies

There is a petition going around regarding the new hair regulations the Army released last week. My friend and I were discussing this last night. She is an African-American who has been serving in the Army for the last 18 years. She thinks uniform should mean 'uniform' and that these new hair regulations are nothing more than that, an attempt to bring uniform to service members.

Do you think the new hair and even the tattoo regulations are discriminatory?

Here is the story:

Petition: Regs Discriminate Against Black Women

There is a petition to change the new Army appearance regulations, saying they are discriminatory to black women.

A petition that's gathered more than 6,600 signatures on the White House website is asking President Barack Obama to overrule portions of the Army's new appearance regulations as discriminatory against black women.

The newest version of Army regulation 670-1, released Monday, cracks down on excessive tattoos and allows troops to pack umbrellas. It also has policies on women's hair that forbid soldiers from having more than two braids, hair twists and dreadlocks.

The petition says the ban discriminates against women who need to use the unauthorized hair styles.

"Females with natural hair take strides to style their natural hair in a professional manner when necessary; however, changes to AR 670-1 offer little to no options for females with natural hair," the petition says. "In the proposed changes, unauthorized hairstyles include twists, both flat twists as well as two strand twists; as well as dreadlocks, which are defined as "any matted or locked coils or ropes of hair." These new changes are racially biased and the lack of regard for ethnic hair is apparent. This policy needs to be reviewed prior to publishing to allow for neat and maintained natural hairstyles."

You can read the petition HERE.

Army Times talked to the soldier who started the petition, Sgt. Jasmine Jacobs, of the Georgia National Guard.

"I've been in the military six years, I've had my hair natural four years, and it's never been out of regulation. It's never interfered with my head gear," Jacobs told the newspaper.

The petition requires about 93,000 more signatures to go to the president.

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:13 AM
2 moms liked this

No I don't, the person in the article's picture has her hair done within the new regs so it can't be that difficult to manage. If you want to plaster yourself in tattoos and where your hair however you please, don't join the military.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Nope. 

sbranom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the tattoos, but am torn on the hair. I understand about wanting things to be uniform, but part of me thinks, as long as their hair is off the nape of the neck, why does it matter if it is in braids or not?

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:27 AM
7 moms liked this

Everything is discriminatory these days. I can't keep up.

violinjewel
by Julia on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Pretty much how I feel.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoanahLee
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM

I think it should not matter how your hair is styles as long as you can pull it back into a reg. ponytail/bun.   If you are going to have short hair, then braids and dreads and such sticking out all over the place might not be the best choice for uniform hair style, but if you can pull those brainds back and put them in a bun then the that should satisfy regulation and the higher ups need to stay out of it. 

BellaRose17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:47 AM

No. 

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:47 AM

For real right?

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

KimmyShaw
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

no

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:01 AM
I have no quarrels with the new regs. I think dreads have no business in uniform they just look unkept and same with twists.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN