Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Dogs in posting housing?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

We've never lived on post, so I do not know how all that works. I do not we are allowed two walking pets, however we have three small dogs that are house trained and kennel trained. We are wanting to move on post until we PCS. My husband's Drill Sergeant duty will be over Oct but our lease on renting this house is up in Sep. We do not wish to stay living in this house (utility costs are WAY TOO high for this house). However, we should get orders soon to pcs somewhere else ( I pray). My husband says we will be here for at least 1-3 months before we move again. So, I am looking into moving on post for the remainder of our time here (1-3 months) Anyway, I was wondering, do people have more than the allowed about of pets anyway? If you have, how did that work and you not getting into trouble? Do they come in your home monthly to inspect? I really do not want to get rid of one of my dogs,they are our family.

Any advice would help. Thanks

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:13 PM

If you have orders for a PCS, I don't think you can move on post.  You have to sign a lease and I'm pretty sure they will it let you move on post for a month or two.  We just sold our house (closing is in 2 weeks) and we are PCSing at the end of June.  They would not allow us to move on post.  We had to find an apartment hat does short term leases.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:18 PM

We do not have orders right now and I am not sure when we will get them. So, maybe we can get on post before get the orders? If the damn electric bill wasn't so high for this house and the cost of driving, it would be okay. We live in a SMALL little community off post and they have the highest rates for electric here. I've tried everything to lower the bill and it still doesn't help. We just can't afford the 300+ anymore.

Quoting cocoroo:

If you have orders for a PCS, I don't think you can move on post.  You have to sign a lease and I'm pretty sure they will it let you move on post for a month or two.  We just sold our house (closing is in 2 weeks) and we are PCSing at the end of June.  They would not allow us to move on post.  We had to find an apartment hat does short term leases.

kmeow
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:33 PM

We only had one housing inspection and were given about an hour's notice, and that was because some guy in my husband's unit almost burnt his house down and was found to be living in filthy conditions. However, if they do find out you can be evicted and lose your on-post privledges for violating your lease, which is extremely possible if one of your neighbors is a rigid rule-follower and reports.

I am of the mind that if you get a pet, you are committed. That being said, you should just continue to live off post for a few months. Some posts allow three pets (Fort Riley, for example) and it's better to pay too high utilities for a few months then to ruin your renter's history or have to re-home a pet.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:34 PM

you will need to call your housing office- since you used the term Post your probably army and Army housing ( well actually all DOD housing is PPV ( private) and each owner will have different rules for when you move in and out. They will also need to see a copy of his orders and it will say on his orders that that he is close to being tour complete.

as for the pets- it is usually 2 pets - if you can get on base you can ask for a waiver, but don't expect it, most are pretty strict about.

TheartAH
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
You need to apply for a waiver to have 3 pets, I've known people who have gotten them with no problem.
It is a big risk to take sneaking them in although we never had a housing inspection during 4 years spent living in base housing (aside from repair calls). I would be more worried about neighbors reporting it.
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Apr. 8, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Just the thought of moving to a new home for a mere 1-3 months and then moving again makes me want to scream. lol I just can't imagine going through all that work. Although, we were never stationed at a post where the waiting list was that short, anyway.
cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 8, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Yeah, I don't know why anyone would want to do it, even if the power bills are ridiculous.  We are having to move into the apartment for 2 months and it makes me want to cry.  We are actually renting a furnished apartment, even though it is $600 more than an unfurnished, so we don't have to move our stuff to the apartment and then have the movers pack it again for Germany 2 months later. The good thing is the furnished is all inclusive, rent, electric, water, trash, cable, phone, internet, etc.  now, the. Movers are coming tomorrow!  Ahhhhhhh!  Atleast when we find a house in Germany! our stuff should already be in country.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: Just the thought of moving to a new home for a mere 1-3 months and then moving again makes me want to scream. lol I just can't imagine going through all that work. Although, we were never stationed at a post where the waiting list was that short, anyway.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 8, 2014 at 1:23 PM

If the limit is 2 pets that's the limit. I don't think they generally bend that rule for any one. I knew a lady that wanted to be a foster home for dogs and she'd have one dog at a time for a few weeks to 2 months, but housing wouldn't allow it, and they randomly dropped by to make sure she didn't have an extra pets. So the issue with asking before hand is they might say no and then flag you. You could try sneaking the extra dog in, but if you get caught you'll be evicted and may not be allowed to live in housing again.

In your shoes I'd just stay where you are or look for a place that will allow the three dogs. The housing I live in only allows cats, the people across the street have a dog, they haven't been caught...YET. I'm not going to turn them in unless that dog bothers me (ie I hear it barking). I moved into housing that didn't allow dogs for a reason.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 8, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Moving doesn't bother me. I

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: Just the thought of moving to a new home for a mere 1-3 months and then moving again makes me want to scream. lol I just can't imagine going through all that work. Although, we were never stationed at a post where the waiting list was that short, anyway.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Apr. 8, 2014 at 1:28 PM
Have you calculated how much a move would cost vs staying at your current rent home? Does your installation have a waiting list for housing?

Quoting Anonymous:

Moving doesn't bother me. I

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)