Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Camp humphreys duty station HELP?!?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:13 PM
  • 64 Replies
Hey guys I'm new to the whole army scene but I'm gradually picking up all the lingo! What I'm currently trying to solve is the issue of our first duty station as a married couple... My husband is an e1 private and he just got orders to South Korea, I'm trying to find out how to join him! We have talked and we want to go the non command sponsorship way... But what does that mean for housing allowance and stuff like that. Do I get oha? How long does it take to get it? I haven't been entered into the DEERS system or anything yet we literally just got married. What all do I need to buy myself? I have already got passport and visa I know I will need a plane ticket as well. And also will he get to live with me if I get housing right outside of base? His orders are unaccompanied
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:37 PM

My dh went to Korea in 2002.  It was his 2nd duty station.  We did not go with him.  I had an 8 yo, 4 yo, 18 month old and I was 8 1/2 months pregnant when he left.  He was an E4 when he went.  You are going to have to apply for a visa to Live in Korea if you are not command sponsored.  Without command sponsorship, I think you can only stay for 3 months at a time.  My dh said when he was there, they had a curfew, they would have drills at all hours, and he is pretty sure your dh would not technically be allowed to live with you off post.  I do not think you would get OHA without being command sponsored.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:43 AM

Welcome and good luck!

sbranom
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:56 AM

Without command sponsorship, you can normally only get a tourist visa, which lasts for 90 days. You will then have to leave the country, and won't be allowed immediately back in. Most countries require you to be out of country from 30-90 days. No, you will not get OHA, and cost of living in Korea is extremely expensive. Not to sound snotty, but you probably won't be able to afford to live there on just his salary alone. But, you won't be allowed to work (either in country (unless you have a working visa) or on base). Also, if you get sick, you won't be able to use the clinic on post (truthfully, I am not sure if you will be able to get on post without command sponsorship. I know Rota is like that. Not sure if Humphreys is. Anyone know?). Your DH will not get to live with you as you are not supposed to be there and he will have to be in the barracks. 

The easiest way around all this if you truly want to go unaccompanied is to teach English in Korea. It is pretty easy to do, but you need a bachelor's degree. 

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 8:01 AM
2 moms liked this
If you don't have command sponsorship I don't think you should try to go with him. Is he there on an unaccompanied assignment ? Or is there any other reason you can't get command sponsorship? The game overseas specially in Korea where I think they still have a curfew, is totally different that in the states. If you get sick you won't be seen on post and if anything happens in the country, you won't be taken care of as a dependent. If he's unaccompanied how long does he have to be there? A year? If you to with him it may be 3? So think it over but I wouldn't go without command sponsorship
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:45 AM
He will have to get special permission to live off-post and you will not be authorized for housing. As far as OHA goes, YOU don't receive anything. Your husband is the service member. The rest of the answers you are seeking are provided on the Camp Humphreys website.
Chybrynt
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:48 AM
I have gotten replies like this about the situation from guys at my local recruiting station, but then I've also got replies saying the total opposite. So I'm not really sure who completely knows the rules... I did find a command sponsorship vs. non command sponsorship chart on an army website

http://www.usfk.mil/usfk/Uploads/120/CPVNSBComparisonMatrix6.pdf

Here's a link to take a look. By what I see it looks like I get some of the benefits such as oha and other basic needs

Quoting sbranom:

Without command sponsorship, you can normally only get a tourist visa, which lasts for 90 days. You will then have to leave the country, and won't be allowed immediately back in. Most countries require you to be out of country from 30-90 days. No, you will not get OHA, and cost of living in Korea is extremely expensive. Not to sound snotty, but you probably won't be able to afford to live there on just his salary alone. But, you won't be allowed to work (either in country (unless you have a working visa) or on base). Also, if you get sick, you won't be able to use the clinic on post (truthfully, I am not sure if you will be able to get on post without command sponsorship. I know Rota is like that. Not sure if Humphreys is. Anyone know?). Your DH will not get to live with you as you are not supposed to be there and he will have to be in the barracks. 

The easiest way around all this if you truly want to go unaccompanied is to teach English in Korea. It is pretty easy to do, but you need a bachelor's degree. 

Chybrynt
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:50 AM
So I don't receive bha if I don't get to go while he's away?

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: He will have to get special permission to live off-post and you will not be authorized for housing. As far as OHA goes, YOU don't receive anything. Your husband is the service member. The rest of the answers you are seeking are provided on the Camp Humphreys website.
Chybrynt
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Command sponsorship takes a while to get approved and from what I read rarely given to such low ranking privates. Yes his orders are unaccompanied.

Quoting Elle.tea.22: If you don't have command sponsorship I don't think you should try to go with him. Is he there on an unaccompanied assignment ? Or is there any other reason you can't get command sponsorship? The game overseas specially in Korea where I think they still have a curfew, is totally different that in the states. If you get sick you won't be seen on post and if anything happens in the country, you won't be taken care of as a dependent. If he's unaccompanied how long does he have to be there? A year? If you to with him it may be 3? So think it over but I wouldn't go without command sponsorship
cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
YOur dh will get BAH for where you live stateside during his time in Korea. Mychildren and I moved when my dh went to Korea from Ga to SC. He got BAH for SC. You, as the wife, get nothing. The pay and allowances all go to your dh.

Quoting Chybrynt: So I don't receive bha if I don't get to go while he's away?

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: He will have to get special permission to live off-post and you will not be authorized for housing. As far as OHA goes, YOU don't receive anything. Your husband is the service member. The rest of the answers you are seeking are provided on the Camp Humphreys website.
cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
If you already have the answers thanks to google, why are you asking? I hate when people ask a question, get answers, and then question or say all the answers they receive are wrong.

Quoting Chybrynt: I have gotten replies like this about the situation from guys at my local recruiting station, but then I've also got replies saying the total opposite. So I'm not really sure who completely knows the rules... I did find a command sponsorship vs. non command sponsorship chart on an army website

http://www.usfk.mil/usfk/Uploads/120/CPVNSBComparisonMatrix6.pdf

Here's a link to take a look. By what I see it looks like I get some of the benefits such as oha and other basic needs

Quoting sbranom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)