Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Help! Need advice from a military wife!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies
When my man is out of town for military duty I like and expect a good night call but when he doesn't it bothers me. Especially, when I know he is out having a few drinks with his military brothers. Then if its getting late and I will go ahead and call him to say goodnight, he doesn't answer nor calls me back until the next day. By this time I'm fuming. Is it wrong to expect this?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes
mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:27 AM
Yes.
TAG9lbs
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:58 AM
I'm curious and I want an explanation.

I'm not married now nor have ever been married. I would think it is with in full right for a spouse on either side to expect and receive a courtesy call.

If you have the experience (i'm almost certain you do) please teach me why this is acceptable?

Quoting cocoroo: Yes
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:14 AM
1 mom liked this

How do you know they are just out drinking? Maybe they are training or something else. You need to learn that you will not get to hear from your SO every night in this life. My husband left a few days ago and I have only heard from him once. But we have learned we both do better not talking all the time while he is gone!

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:16 AM

Because any given day when they are gone, you don't know if they are just having down time an able to do whatever, or if they are in the middle of training. Some of these wives/gf I have seen are lucky there are phones and the internet. What did women do before then? Oh yea they would wait for "Snail Mail" or pray they would get a call once a week if lucky. 

Quoting TAG9lbs: I'm curious and I want an explanation. I'm not married now nor have ever been married. I would think it is with in full right for a spouse on either side to expect and receive a courtesy call. If you have the experience (i'm almost certain you do) please teach me why this is acceptable?
Quoting cocoroo: Yes

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:39 AM

My husband is on subs.  When he's at work overnight or out to sea, I never get a phone call.  That's the way it works.  I don't expect calls.

sbranom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:42 AM

I like a goodnight call from DH, but don't expect it. Have you talked to your DH (talked, not yelled or nagged) about it?  

USAFamily
by Melissa on Apr. 9, 2014 at 5:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it just depends on the situation. When my husband and I first were married, it would bug me if he didn't answer my calls or call me while he was out with the guys. Now, I realize I was just being insecure. When I'm out, the LAST thing I want to do is call home. I have the same expectations for him. 

As far as when he is gone TDY, he may not always have the time to call. Yes, I like it when he does. But I don't get pissed when he doesn't. It's the nature of the job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 5:42 AM
I don't expect any calls from my dh when hes out training. He will call or text when he gets a chance but I dont really expect it all the time. Sometimes, they can't even bring their phones with them.
LinnyAnne
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 5:56 AM
1 mom liked this
My DH doesn't like to talk on the phone. But also if he's having a guy's night out. No way in he'll would I expect him to call me...

But if he's out on the? No i still don't expect. He's training. He doesn't always have access to a phone. When h does it's a quick text. Nothing more. I get it. When I would be tdy I would be either to tired or I was at the bar on post, where there was no service. To get service I had to leave post and go into town (which was a good 20minute drive)

So yea it wrong to always expect him to call every night. It just can't happen
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN