Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

WWII Vet & Gun-Toting Wife Take Down Armed Robber

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM
  • 6 Replies

WWII Vet & Gun-Toting Wife Take Down Armed Robber

by Jenny Erikson

Hugh and Ruby Mathis thought they were doing a good deed when they opened their door to their 20-something neighbor who claimed he wanted to use their phone. The young man had done odd jobs for the elderly Ohio couple before, so they were caught off guard by what happened next.

Robert Kelly Jr. allegedly pulled a knife on Hugh, a WWII vet, and demanded that the 92-year-old give him the money in his wallet. Being awesome, Hugh told him to "go to hell."

Meanwhile, 89-year-old Ruby, being no pushover herself, went to retrieve the couple's gun.

"They were talking real low, and I came in to see what it was and when I did he was standing in front of Hugh with a knife saying, 'Give me the money out of your pocket,' so when I heard that I ran to the bedroom and got the gun," she said.

Hugh said he had no intention of handing over his money, and he was ready to put up a fight. He said,"He ran out the door. I was getting up to get a club and then I was going to work him over real good."

Oh my gosh, this is my new favorite couple ever. Apparently they're a lot of people's favorite couple too, because a Springfield Township warrant was issued right away, and Kelly was caught shortly after fleeing the scene.

The couple has lived in their home for over 50 years, and the rest of the neighborhood is upset that anyone would try to hurt them. And just for the icing on the cake, Kelly's bond has been set at $1.5 million for three counts of aggravated robbery, and the case is scheduleto go before the grand jury April 18.

I would call that justice served.

Video here

Do you think they did the right thing? Should she have called 911 first?

by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Susan0805
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:07 PM
911 wouldn't have gotten there fast enough... They should have called 911 after he ran off or Ruby shot him. These are some true down home folks, lol. Strong, kind/ compassionate (they had given him money for work done before and even held the door open for him) smart and resilient! I love them!
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:29 PM
I don't have a problem with self defense but this article doesn't give enough info about what happened for me to have much of an opinion.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 12, 2014 at 3:35 AM

I agree with you.

Quoting SlapItHigh: I don't have a problem with self defense but this article doesn't give enough info about what happened for me to have much of an opinion.

TAG9lbs
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 4:21 AM
This article was cute in its own way.

On a different note I wonder who would win on the craziest news stories to come out of one state?

I'm on the fence between Ohio, Arizona, and Florida
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I know who would lose... Montana, I'm not even totally convinced that place actually exists you never hear anything about it. LOL.

But my $ is on Florida, that place is cray.

Quoting TAG9lbs: This article was cute in its own way. On a different note I wonder who would win on the craziest news stories to come out of one state? I'm on the fence between Ohio, Arizona, and Florida

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Gangsta elderly couple. Love it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN